Discuss Aico alarms red light rapid flashing. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Looking at an LD1 system in an HMO.

Although the alarms are hardwired together (No radio bases) they don't sound simultaneously.

Some of the alarms have a rapidly flashing red light.

Any ideas?

I believe if a detector has been triggered its red light flashes
Other non triggered alarms wont flash red

The alarm sound is more purposeful when they are not sounding in sinc,it seems to be more of a "there's a fire going on" type of scream

My Aicos intermittently flash the red light - I have 4 and have just been watching them, they have done this since day one - This is normal.

From the manual:

1. Check that the green mains indicator light is on. (if
it is off check circuit breakers, fuses and wiring etc.)

2. Check that the red LED on the cover flashes once
every 40 seconds
to indicate normal operation – If
the memory has been set indicating that the Alarm
has been activated in the last 24 hours, the red LED
will flash twice every 40 seconds. After 24 hours the
memory will be cleared.

3. Press the test button for up to 10 seconds to ensure
the sensor chamber, electronics and sounder are
working. A red light on the cover, will flash while horn
is sounding. The alarm will stop when the button
is released. Pressing the test button simulates the
effect of smoke or heat during a real fire and is the
best way to ensure the Alarm is operating correctly.
This action will also clear the memory.

Is the signal cable wired properly to each one? Sounds a bit worrying not all sounding together if they are three core wired. If the red LED is blinking rapidly it may be the battery is gone in them. What type are they, ten year batteries or 9v types. They need to be change every ten years maybe they are past it???

Is the signal cable wired properly to each one? Sounds a bit worrying not all sounding together if they are three core wired. If the red LED is blinking rapidly it may be the battery is gone in them. What type are they, ten year batteries or 9v types. They need to be change every ten years maybe they are past it???

I dismantled the set up and reconnected some of it , four alarms (out of nine) in total. They then sounded simultaneously.

Thinking I'd cracked it , I reconnected the rest of the system only for none of them to now sound simultaneously.

Got the whole day if necessary tomorrow- grotty student house, not looking forward to it!

Got to be a miswire surely? Anyhoo have fun sounds like a challenge could be a drug den instead! Social housing...love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pop them off the bases, locate the first one, then the last one, do continuity tests on all 3 cores ..... and the cpc just to be 100% sure.

Simples

Mis wire traced. Disconnected the affected alarms , they've now got an LD2 system til I can get back in during the XMAS break.

Hungover munters had barely stirred themselves out of bed by the time I was finishing.

Reply to Aico alarms red light rapid flashing. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net