Discuss aico heat alarms on wall? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

not to day you wont.
i could win using violence but id rather use my noggin
Just a thought but if you have a lighting circuit with permanent live up on ceiling could you not use this to fit a wireless base heat to link up with others.

i hear loop in systems are common in england but most modern builds in scotland in the last 20/30 years have the feeds at the switches with the neutrals, switched live and neutral up to light from switch, and cpc of course

a wise man told me once lesson to me and take it will last for the rest of you life.
dont eat yellow snow?
7c5bc515176eb3767dd9d9f613b45cea--confucius-quotes-confucius-say.jpg

I don't know how or when I got these thoughts but I have always believed

When a fire develops the smoke billows up the wall in a rotating plume
At the joint between the wall and the ceiling there is a dead spot,its where the concentration of smoke is much less,the detector sited here will not be as efficient as when its mounted outside that zone

Its for that reason I have never mounted any smoke detector other than on a ceiling away from a wall

@elsparko

It doth seem like the cart is leading the horse here, what seems several inches to you could be vital minutes of an alarm going off which could be the difference between life and death... I would express your position and the safety aspects then in a polite manner decline the work if they refuse to budge... It amazes me how householders are more concerned about having to patch and paint at worse against family safety... like not wearing your seat belt because it creases your blouse.

yeah ive seen the fire brigade demonstrating how smoke spreads, to be fair to the guy he is relatively new to the uk and is having to adjust to our regs

still, looks like my early finish tomorrow is out the window as thats another job no doubt added to my list -.-, still doing bloody paperwork for his last job!!!!

having a bit of a debate as to why aico heat detectors should not be wall mounted, other than aico stating "do not wall mount" i cant think of a good reason why it would not operate if placed less than 12" from ceiling on the wall

did a quick poogle search but no definitive answer

i have seen wall mountable heat detectors, but what makes aico heat detectors different?

Perhaps you could provide a link for that directive? From their installation manuals, it states wall mounting is an option, with certain provisos.

In this document re Smoke and Heat alarms Aico say Smoke alarms (ONLY) can be wall mounted subject to position, the O.P refers to Heat alarms.
There must be a significant difference to how Smoke and Heat collect at ceiling level, backed up by the different measurements given for mounting both on a sloping ceiling, Page 12;

https://www.aico.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Ei160e-Series-Instructions.pdf

I have seen that the instructions are different for smoke vs heat alarms, and have installed a few systems. The heat ones must be ceiling mounted, the smoke ones can be wall mounted provided they are installed in the correct zone, per Aico's instruction sheets. It is awkward that there are rules about the hard wiring of these devices which makes damage to decor an inevitability, and yes, in Scotland there are many variations on how the lights are wired, but if installing to Part D then as it stands you have to hardwire them all. The method I have used is to hardwire the hall smoke alarm, one with 10 year Li battery too, and radio interlink module, and then use the non-mains heat and smoke alarms elsewhere as required, they also being the 10 year Li battery powered type with radio interlinked models. The manufacturers suggest that some Local Authorities may accept such a set-up as compliant with Part D, but I haven't checked locally. However, as you may know, the Scottish Government had a consultation recently about alarms in both the public and private sector, and amongst other things a particular section asked for views on changing the regs to allow long-life battery only systems, so that hardwiring and mains supply would no longer be necessary, given that technology has moved along considerably over the last few years. The responses I have seen so far have supported this change, as do I, and it seems likely that this "relaxation" will be confirmed when the results are published and the legislation changes completed. I think this is good news, as those who are put off installing alarms may well go ahead as it will be cheaper and less intrusive...not perhaps such good news for electricians, but maybe good news for safety as a whole. Just my thoughts...

This last contribution seems to be the best; succinct and well reasoned. Here in Plymouth it seems the Scots are leading, apart from their ligting options. I prefere a separate RCBO protected circuit outside the main RCD protection, so it is always on. Always a problem doing this work in Georgian & Regency dwellings.

Reply to aico heat alarms on wall? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net