Discuss Alarm not activating door locks 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am installing a Compustar CS6900 in my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee and am having trouble hooking up the keyless entry part of the system. I tested the alarm and it sends out a negative 12v pulse in both wires coming from the alarm brain. My driver side and passenger side door switches both work on the vehicle but the alarm isn't triggering them even though its sending power. I tested the leads going to the door actuator with my power probe and noticed that the wires are grounded out. If I send positive power to them the circuit on my power probe pops. Sending negative power obviously does nothing as they are already grounded out anyways. What I can't understand is why do my door switches still work and register 12v positive when I push the door lock/unlock buttons but as soon as I try to use my power probe or alarms keyless entry to trigger them it does nothing? I also checked the wires going from the switch to the actuator and there is no shorts anywhere. The wires on the drivers side that I am trying to tie into is the "orange/violet for lock" and "pink/black for unlock".

Right,what do you mean by "negative 12v pulse"? Do you mean a negative or grounded momentary pulse?

Also,what auto-reset or other fusing,has your power probe got?

I take it you probed them with the vehicle wiring still connected?

You should get a wiring diagram,to check that the relays which will serve those actuators,are not failsafe to ground,in operation. There are many,many ways they can be configured,but one is where the non operating position,collectively grounds the triggers to resist attempts at opening doors,by applying a 12v to any wiring exposed.

At a remote guess,i would say the door actuators require a 12v pulse,and your system is forwarding a ground or negative. If the system does not have the facility to provide a sufficient,12v pulse,you may have to get imaginative,with 2/4 relays,or even some changeover relays,to enable your ground trigger,to turn magically,in to a 12v one:)

Reply to Alarm not activating door locks 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net