Discuss Am2 inspection and testing I need advice in insulation testing if anyone knows how it's done correctly please? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What is it you would like to know?

I've just done mine & i did it in 4 sections
Global, dol to motor, ring, light remembering strappers.

Dont forget to remove vulnerable equipment, heating fuse & switch strappers.

It’s good if you know what you’re looking for.
Insulation resistance means looking for ohms...Your trying to prove there’s no connection between cores when there shouldn’t be, so you’re looking for high ohms, so that’s the Mega ohm scale...

There’s an order you should do the testing, but it depends if it’s a new install, existing or fault finding

Dont forget to remove vulnerable equipment, heating fuse &

Thank you for the feedback.
What about CO2 detector can I include in Global as well?
I have watched XS online training videos it doesn't mention to remove the heating fuse,only it saying to keep the switch fuse in off position for insulation resistant testing.

It’s good if you know what you’re looking for.
Insulation resistance means looking for ohms...Your trying to prove there’s no connection between cores when there shouldn’t be, so you’re looking for high ohms, so that’s the Mega ohm scale...

There’s an order you should do the testing, but it depends if it’s a new install, existing or fault finding
Thank you for the reply.
Actually I am looking for how to do inspection and testing in sequences avoiding vulnerable equipment in Am2 exam center new installation.
There are six circuits 1.CO2 detector with no switched fuse 2.lighting circuit 3. 16A commando circuits 4.ring circuits protected by RCBO 5.heating/hot water 6.DOL motor starter

Main things to remember would be

make sure to operate all switches so all cables are tested...ask them to operate them for you

Before you do the tests remove the detector, disconnect the line or neutral and place into a connector for the lights

If you have your rcbo in place disconnect that as well

And when you've done all these make sure you put the covers back on so nothings exposed whilst you so the test

I think they just said for me to test upto the Central heating spur with it switched off and for the motors etc and dol it was testing upto them and then also testing after because it won't be energised

I had to retake my testing section and failed on insulation initially but the main thing I did the second time was verbally talk yourself through it so they know you understand the process and are competent

Thank you for the feedback.
As you mentioned that you have done the exam ,there are 6 circ
CO2 did you do Global as well ? Heating/hot wter circuits testing upto switch fuses
Main things to remember would be

make sure to operate all switches so all cables are tested...ask them to operate them for you

Before you do the tests remove the detector, disconnect the line or neutral and place into a connector for the lights

If you have your rcbo in place disconnect that as well

And when you've done all these make sure you put the covers back on so nothings exposed whilst you so the test

I think they just said for me to test upto the Central heating spur with it switched off and for the motors etc and dol it was testing upto them and then also testing after because it won't be energised

I had to retake my testing section and failed on insulation initially but the main thing I did the second time was verbally talk yourself through it so they know you understand the process and are competent
Thank you mate!

Reply to Am2 inspection and testing I need advice in insulation testing if anyone knows how it's done correctly please? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock