Discuss AM2 lighting circuit - confusion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked a dozen times on this forum but I just want to make sure that I'm doing this the correct way before going into my exam. I got told that in the am2 I need to have neutrals at every switch in connecters. I have never done it this at work hence the confusion. Here is a diagram I nicked from a post a few months back.
AM2 lighting circuit - confusion upload_2019-5-30_23-34-25 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi mate,

I wired my lighting circuit exactly like your diagram above. You're right, the neutrals need to be wired through the switches. Sometimes the layout/terminal identification on the intermediates can varying depending on the brands, so try not to let that throw you on the day.

Best of luck mate, you doing the Am2 or Am2s?

That must be due to the regs now asking for us to consider installing neutrals at light switches

Not taking Neutrals to switches shouldn't mean a fail though ...

The point with the Am2 is that you are given a design and specification to work to, not following this correctly is a fail. So not taking the neutral to the switches as specified is a fail, the same as not complying with a specification in the real world means not getting paid and having to re-do the work correctly.

If part of the exam was to design the circuit then what you say would be correct.

with new smart switches etc. likely to become more commonplace, it would be a good thing going forward to install N at all switch locations when wiring new circuits.

Hi mate,

I wired my lighting circuit exactly like your diagram above. You're right, the neutrals need to be wired through the switches. Sometimes the layout/terminal identification on the intermediates can varying depending on the brands, so try not to let that throw you on the day.

Best of luck mate, you doing the Am2 or Am2s?
I’m sitting the AM2 mate

Hi all, I have my am2 soon and am just wanting to confirm what you do when testing the ring circuit for continuity and insulation resistance on the ring circuit if there is a switch fused spur Present. The part of the circuit on the outgoing side of the spur will that be tested if the spurs on or do I need to test that part of the cable individually? Also on a three phase install the pfc needs to be doubled to allow for a fault across two of the phases, is this correct? Any help would be much appreciated

Hi Joe,

When testing insulation resistance, on mine I just turned the spur on. Similar to how you would leave a light switch on mate.

For PFC, you need to do two tests which are (PEFC) & (PSCC). Your tester may not be capable of measuring between phases (400v), if this is the case do as you said and double it.

Good luck mate.

Hi Joe,

When testing insulation resistance, on mine I just turned the spur on. Similar to how you would leave a light switch on mate.

For PFC, you need to do two tests which are (PEFC) & (PSCC). Your tester may not be capable of measuring between phases (400v), if this is the case do as you said and double it.

Good luck mate.
Thanks mate big help

Reply to AM2 lighting circuit - confusion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock