Discuss American Bosch grinder to work in the UK. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

prospect

Hi, i have just purchased an American Bosch tuck-point grinder from the states. This is the only place that Bosch sale these for some strange reason. I also purchased a step down converter so i could run the tool here, but when i plugged it in it seem to run at half the speed. There are only 2 wirer's white and black. Is it possible to fit a UK plug or will i need to have a new cable fitted so there's a neutral wire also. I dont want to damage the tool as it was not cheap. Thanks for any advice given.

Not as easy as changing a plug! Fortunately when I moved from Adelaide to England it was a matter of just changing plug tops, as they have similar supplies ie 240/50 etc :)

what does it say on the spec plate? volts amps Hz etc give us these details and it will give us a better idea.

You might have a frequency problem rather than a voltage one. Have you contacted Bosch technical for an opinion?

Assuming the tool is designed for 120V (which is what would be supplied by your step down transformer), you would need to ensure that the transformer is capable of supplying the current required for the tool.

If the grinder is a 1000W (1kW) grinder then you would need a transformer capable of supplying 1000W, many small transformers are only rated at 45W or so, you may be overloading the transformer.

White and Black are the standard US colours instead of Brown and Blue in the UK.

If you change the plug to a UK plug and plug in a 120V to a 240V socket you will damage the grinder.

might be an idea to fit a 110V plug and try it on a site tranny.

They may have converted it already as they knew it was going to the UK???

I Googled Tuckpoint grinders and there seem to be load in the UK SEE.... 1775E 5" Tuckpoint Grinder | Bosch

The USA has 120 and 220v available but I wouldn't think they use it for power tools. Normally the 220( between phases) is for large fixed loads like Aircon or Heating.

The Hz shouldn't make any difference as the motor is almost certainly a "Universal brush motor".

They may have converted it already as they knew it was going to the UK???

I Googled Tuckpoint grinders and there seem to be load in the UK SEE.... 1775E 5" Tuckpoint Grinder | Bosch

The USA has 120 and 220v available but I wouldn't think they use it for power tools. Normally the 220( between phases) is for large fixed loads like Aircon or Heating.
that guard can be bought seperately seen them for sale made to fit any grinder.

I think the fequency may be wrong, isn't America 40Hz?

60Hz is standard in the US.

I would also contact the suppliers and explain your dilemma. Running the machine on incorrect frequency and voltage would have unpredictable results at best and catastrophic results at worst.

Another option is you might find a variable frequency drive with 230v 50Hz input and 110v 60Hz output if you hunt around.

Hi,I have a 110 V Yankee grinder from Sears,its worked for years off either standard UK transformer(110 V) or a generator/welder 110 V output.You dont need an extra wire for neutral,its the black one,White being line.The frequency wont make a noticeable difference to its function.Happy cuttin/buffin/brushin...

Glad it's working. Usually if a motor sounds good and the running temperature is sensible chances are it will be okay. Might be worth just checking the run current with a clampmeter and making sure it's within the stated current on the motor plate.

Reply to American Bosch grinder to work in the UK. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock