Discuss American Christmas Lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Phil379

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I am hoping you can help me please.

My wife purchased some American Christmas lights from a friend, it has a two pin American plug on them and an inbuilt 7amp fuse.

I have attached a photo of the lights, did buy an adapter plugged the lights into it and then into wall socket and it blew the adapter!

I am after a safe adapter/transformer here’s hoping you will be able to help me

Many thanks

Phil Maskell

Attachments

• American Christmas Lights IMG_8975 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_8975.jpeg
    411.9 KB · Views: 31
Take a pic of the adapter and post it up here.
Might be able to get an adapter with the same output for a uk plug.
This would most probably mean cutting off the old adapter and wiring in the new one.

Take a pic of the adapter and post it up here.
Might be able to get an adapter with the same output for a uk plug.
This would most probably mean cutting off the old adapter and wiring in the new one.
Doubt it, it looks like the old fashioned type, a load of lamps in series to get to 120V.

Single insulated cables at 240v so prohibited in UK and EU

I have attached a photo of the lights, did buy an adapter plugged the lights into it and then into wall socket and it blew the adapter!

The problem is those lights are designed and rated for the American 120V mains supply.
In the UK we have a 240V mains supply so the cable they are made from is not safe for use with our electricity supply.

I guess in theory you could get a yellow 110V site transformer and feed them from that!

I can’t see how it blew the adaptor….

If it’s 120v lamps getting twice as much voltage as they’re designed for… then the lamps would blow.

I can’t see how it blew the adaptor….

If it’s 120v lamps getting twice as much voltage as they’re designed for… then the lamps would blow.

That's why I thought that the adapter reduced the voltage for the lights, but the lights do look like old lights as @Julie. pointed out to me.

Looks like we will have to wait for the OP to give us more info.

You can get small/compact 110V transformers from the likes of eBay quite cheaply (UK stock, rated e.g. at 200W). However, I'd be cautious about leaving one of these on while out, or overnight, in case they catch fire.

Unless there was some special reason for wanting to get these lights working, I'd just bin them & buy something designed for the UK market. If they've been briefly connected directly to 230V, I'd be suprised if they are still all working anyway.

Hi, I am hoping you can help me please.

My wife purchased some American Christmas lights from a friend, it has a two pin American plug on them and an inbuilt 7amp fuse.

I am after a safe adapter/transformer here’s hoping you will be able to help me

Many thanks

Phil Maskell

Doubt it, it looks like the old fashioned type, a load of lamps in series to get to 120V.

Single insulated cables at 240v so prohibited in UK and EU

What about using the 110v side of a shaver socket?

Possibly not good, as they will only be suitable for short term use… not 8 hours non stop.

Those are American lights designed to run on 120 volts, and each lamp is wired in parallel not series. They're typically sold in strings of 25 x 7 watt lamps, so 175 watts per string. The gauge of wire is typically small hence the 7 amp limit fuse to prevent the end-to-end connection of more than 3 strings. Older strings had heavier gauge wire but more modern versions have only a 5 amp fuse. Some of these strings labeled "energy saver" utilized 5-watt lamps, branded "cool bright." It is usually a fool's folly to attempt to utilize electrical products designed for a foreign country with different product and safety standards as well as different utilization voltages. I'm aware of European shaver sockets which employ a 110 volt output transformer, but I doubt a socket designed specifically for shavers would be rated to supply 175 watts at 120 volts.

Reply to American Christmas Lights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock