Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss American FF tripping RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

hi I have a customer with an American Fridge freezer that trips the RCD every couple of hours. The FF is a couple of years old and cost £2000 apparently , so the customer says replacing it is out of the question. Obviously all domestic circuits are to be RCD protected but is there a get out with a risk assessment to take that circuit off the RCD? It is not a dedicated circuit as it is the kitchen ring. Any advice would be great.
Cheers

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
Risk assessment is not permitted in domestic.

If the customer refuses to repair or replace then tough titties, that's their decision.

Rpa07

-
Arms
Esteemed
Is it the fridge that’s to fault or the wiring system itself - 2 hours is a long time to be tripping.
Can you extension lead it on another circuit/ RCD?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Defo the FF . I’ve been looking into the problem and there are a few things that can cause the tripping of an rcd. Heating coils that defrost certain parts of the FF and frozen coils etc. I tried an extension from another circuit and it tripped the other rcd.

Beat me to it ruston.

I have a little earth leakage clamp meter set it to min max and leave it on suspect appliance.

There is a defo a fault in some component that produces enough earth leakage to trip the rcd. I don't have an earth leakage clamp meter.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
could you install a non-RCD dedicated circuit and fir a FCU?

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
You are stuffed without test gear , is it when the fridge or the freezer is cutting that is tripping it ? long shot that it is noticed I know

You are stuffed without test gear , is it when the fridge or the freezer is cutting that is tripping it ? long shot that it is noticed I know
Apparently in this model every now and then a heating element comes on to defrost the coil when needed and it is common to develop more earth leakage than an 30ma rcd will take. If it can't go on a non rcd circuit then there fooked by the looks of it

No he is right , as long as the circuit does not require an RCD because of installation methods.
I was going to suggest that if it was only high earth leakage that is causing the problem
That's the answer im looking for but is there exceptions in the regs to put ait on a non rcd circuit in domestic ?

Reply to American FF tripping RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom