Discuss Another bad landlord in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

you can get the tenants to approach council but if the council do not do anything then the landlord can evict them under sec 21. should council issue an improvement notice then they can be protected for 6 months.

I think as long as you have sent him a letter or email informing him off remedial works and any dangers as well as an unsatisfactory report you're covered in that essence. Must be annoying though

The landlord surely cant ger annoyed if he gave the tenants a copy?
I always inform our tenants they can request a free copy and if they do we have to provide it to them

If someone gives you an order for a report with promise of payment in return, the contents of that report do not belong to you, they belong to the person who ordered it. ownership of the report and its contents passes to them upon payment, where both parties contractual agreements have been fulfilled.

The landlord has a legal requirement to keep the electrical installation in a safe condition.
probably also a contractual obligation to keep it in a working condition.

Rather than giving away a copy of the report to the tenants, I would have had a word with them and pointed out that you have found some faults, shown them the items that you thought were serious enough for immediate concern.

It might sound trivial but if the tenants want a copy and the landlord has not given you permission to share it, you should not provide them with a copy.

However there is nothing stopping you from encouraging them to order there own electrical report, this would have a different date and a different serial number.
you are free to negotiate any price you like with them, I might be tempted to charge a fairly nominal fee of £1
p.s. they payed it in cash!!!

Last edited:
It is very clear in the regs it shall be issued to the person ordering the work. It would be entirely reasonable if the tenants were not satisfied with the LLs' statement that there are no faults to order their own report and as @James the Spark1976 suggests a small fee to readdress the report and findings to their name and address.

Quote: "Six weeks on and working next door the family came out assuming I was there to begin remedial work. Landlord has told them my testing showed no problems???"

Did you inform the tenants of you findings at the time for them to assume you were there to begin remedials?

In Scotland, EICR has to be copied to tenant, same with gas certificate, legionella risk assessment...

GOOD POINT, in England, gas cert has to be left on site. as far as I know there is no requirement to do the same with EICR.
This is a shame in my opinion.
we have a moral obligation to inform tenants of our findings, but no legal stature to back it up with.

Always left EICR, gas cert, legionella risk assessment and copy of PA Test results, plus tenant signed receipt for these items and any disclaimers too. It was an integral part of the Tenant Pack.

If someone gives you an order for a report with promise of payment in return, the contents of that report do not belong to you, they belong to the person who ordered it. ownership of the report and its contents passes to them upon payment, where both parties contractual agreements have been fulfilled.

The landlord has a legal requirement to keep the electrical installation in a safe condition.
probably also a contractual obligation to keep it in a working condition.

Rather than giving away a copy of the report to the tenants, I would have had a word with them and pointed out that you have found some faults, shown them the items that you thought were serious enough for immediate concern.

It might sound trivial but if the tenants want a copy and the landlord has not given you permission to share it, you should not provide them with a copy.

However there is nothing stopping you from encouraging them to order there own electrical report, this would have a different date and a different serial number.
you are free to negotiate any price you like with them, I might be tempted to charge a fairly nominal fee of £1
p.s. they payed it in cash!!!
They can ask the landlord for a copy of the EICR.

They can ask the landlord for a copy of the EICR.

of course they can, however I don't believe there is any legal requirement for them to provide it.
they could just reply saying that everything is fine and it tested ok.
morally wrong, but if nobody is injured, its a civil issue, not a criminal one?
I DONT MAKE THE RULES, just try to interpret them.

of course they can, however I don't believe there is any legal requirement for them to provide it.
they could just reply saying that everything is fine and it tested ok.
morally wrong, but if nobody is injured, its a civil issue, not a criminal one?
I DONT MAKE THE RULES, just try to interpret them.
Our company has always said that if any tenant requests a copy we HAVE to provide one

Is the let managed by a letting agent? If so you could find out from the tenants who the agent is and give them the heads up. Bound to be some breach of contact in there in respect of safety.

And if you pull out the main fuse and simply walk off you will likely be in trouble for theft or criminal damage ?

I suppose you could put warning tape all over the fuse box and a sign saying ‘condemned do not use’ and take a picture of it
Theft & Criminal Damage ...no chance. Protecting the occupants from death or serious injury would be a bloody good defence in my books.

Reply to Another bad landlord in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock