Discuss another career change thread... sorry in the Electrical Courses and Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Its a lot of transferable skills, but skills on paper are always beaten by experience. Problem is the promotion aspects are limited, you need to pss exams, worded in some language only known to the person writing them, and are aimed at academics. Being good at your job means nothing, and its the reason why its getting so bad. ---- police officers making even shitter managers. But they want yes men and the system is weighted towards them.

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Reaction score
My step father went from police office to security office for one of the major banks in the city, regular hours very good renumeration and a fabulous pension that my mother inherited when he keeled over on Kidbrook station on his way hove from work one evening, he always said it was the best move for him with less stress and nice people to work with.
Very much this. I just dont want to wait 22 years for that to come round

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I know a guy who retired from the police around 50 when Scotland decided to make a single country-wide force that sadly inherited the worst of the traits from the bigger forces. He got bored soon, but as a former traffic cop got involved in doing some sort of vehicle testing down south and more recently driving ambulances, etc.

But you would be wise not to wait till you are 50 to make any move!

Mike Johnson

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Most of us on here have never had the opportunity of a job for life and have struggled against all odds to make ends meet, I wish you well in the future, but urge you to consider where you are going with this, out in the real world it's different/difficult this is the same advice I and many others would give to anyone in the enviable positions of job security.

Reaction score
Appreciate that mate, but Ive spent a lot of time thinking about it, and to be honest, ive been unhappy doing it for a while. Its got far worse in the time ive been there, and is only going to get worse. If i was closer to retirement, id consider fighting through it, but im some way off.
Job security is great, but not worth being miserable for

Reaction score
So ive Found a C&G course at a college starting in september, twice a week for a year. Perfect for me, bit further To travel, but it’s going to be the right one for me.
had a call back from one of the trades colleges earlier. Thetradescollege.com Was very strange, asked me why I was looking to leave my current job a lot, about my partner etc. was initially told a phone call but then requested a video call. didnt do this as wasn’t all that happy with the surprise. Went on to tell me that they had loads of people looking for a few courses, dismissed any college courses as they apparently don’t include, reg 18, Patp and inspecting and testing. these bits seem to be quite short courses from what I’ve seen so not a major deal. Then he said that There are 2 different nvqs out there, one for domestic and one for commercial, this isn’t something I’ve come across while researching?? And couldn’t find anything when I specifically searched for it.
overall it wasnt a comfortable conversation. I don’t think I came over particularly interested at the end, but he still offered to calol me again Monday for the video call to show me some stuff, which I found strange as there are so many people interested apparently

Reaction score
Hi, im in quiet same situationas the autohor of thussubject. Can anyone help me with the Scotland area. I want to move there and work as a domestic electrician. What kind of qulifications do I need . I might start as a electrician mate . I was thinkingabout doing .tradeskills4u course and cscs card. will that be enough ?

Reply to another career change thread... sorry in the Electrical Courses and Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net