Discuss Another fuse board change post! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

You'll need to decide on the right busbar before anything else as a Starbreaker board isn't that flexible.

Then as others have said it's best you do the required calc's to workout what breakers are needed for what circuit (TBH for alot of basic domestic circuit's MCB sizing doesn't need calculations to work out). Cable sizing calculations aren't that much different no matter what sort of Electrical work is carried out....ust need to read the reg's/guides and have a good understanding of them.

Kinda had your back on the ringmain thread (not too difficult that one with alittle direction) but in truth if you cant workout the right calculations for a CU change i highly recommend you get a Part P sparks in. Work with them and they'll probably help you understand the calculation procedure aswell.........they can also sign the works off to keep everything nice and legal aswell.

Guitarist I was one,but let me qualify my advise at that time
The advise I gave was in relation to the procedure for part p and the crazy situation where a spark can't do notifiable work in his own home without paying to Labc to do the job he is trained to do
I still believe in my opinion being valid on that particular subject

Having said the above,I also take at face value, a person comes on here and says he is a trained spark

He is,by asking the basic questions at the start of the thread, making me think that he may not be all that he declared,because a trained spark should be able to work out a rating for a shower mcb

Des, I understand where you guys are coming from, I really do.
I was an industrial spark for about 15 years before turning to the dark side (domestic), and I had to look up some of the regs back in the old 15th/16th edition days because although we did the regs courses, we didn't use a lot of it in industry.
My point in this thread, and in the RFC one, is that although matt may have some electrical knowledge, he is not part P registered and should not be carrying out notifiable work.....end of.
I am also somewhat concerned that although he may have an industrial background, the questions asked seem very basic for any qualified electrician, from any background.
If you look at my posts, you will see that I have offered a great deal of help to many people, but there are some posts I feel we should just be saying "get an electrician in" and this is one of them.

I was an industrial spark for about 15 years before turning to the dark side (domestic), and I had to look up some of the regs back in the old 15th/16th edition days because although we did the regs courses, we didn't use a lot of it in industry.
My point in this thread, and in the RFC one, is that although matt may have some electrical knowledge, he is not part P registered and should not be carrying out notifiable work.....end of.
I am also somewhat concerned that although he may have an industrial background, the questions asked seem very basic for any qualified electrician, from any background.
If you look at my posts, you will see that I have offered a great deal of help to many people, but there are some posts I feel we should just be saying "get an electrician in" and this is one of them.

Nail hit on head !!!

well i sometimes think that were all being targeted for info in here by the guy at the end of the bar who `got a bit of work` for himself...(probably at the expense of an electrician).....you can usually tell though....

Well this sums up the industry no wonder qualified blokes have no work! Can the last real electrician please turn the lights off when he leaves!!!

I just wonder how many "I have a job to do in my own home" questions are really from odd-job men and other trades "doing a bit of electrical work", to get the sympathies of the "do what you like" brigade on the forum.

I just wonder how many "I have a job to do in my own home" questions are really from odd-job men and other trades "doing a bit of electrical work", to get the sympathies of the "do what you like" brigade on the forum.

well odd job men and other trades are just the same as a diy'er,a spark working in on his own home should not have to pay for the privilege,i think that point was overlooked in the part p novel

Last edited by a moderator:
loads Guitarist.....the trick is...spotting em early...theres usually teltale signs....the thing is...yes, its a public forum but sometimes it seems like a `drop in centre` for DIYers and wannabe`s with no real understanding of what their dealing with.....like just relying on the `magic` RCD for instance to meet disconnection times and stuff like that....

loads Guitarist.....the trick is...spotting em early...theres usually teltale signs....the thing is...yes, its a public forum but sometimes it seems like a `drop in centre` for DIYers and wannabe`s with no real understanding of what their dealing with.....like just relying on the `magic` RCD for instance to meet disconnection times and stuff like that....

An' what's wrang wi' that lyke ??? :crazy:

biting my lip........

I've got to post 3 and I'm not gonna bite my lip or read any further.....
I read another post of yours about extending the RFC and was under the impression that you was an electrician not working in domestic. I'm sorry but you would know ohms law and You would know current carrying capacities
As they say in dragons den
"anyone would be a fool to invest in you, I'm out"

I think I'm fairly adept at spotting them early mate. I usually get shouted down tho....

well odd job men and other trades are just the same as a diy'er,a spark working in on his own home should not have to pay for the privilege,i think that point was overlooked in the part p novel

All well and good, but I've noticed that many electricians (especially from industrial backgrounds) simply don't have either the test gear, or the knowledge of domestic testing required. It's ok to say "oh well, it's their own house", but if they decide to sell a few years down the road and RFC continuity/correct RCD operation were never checked, then someone else ends up with a potentially dangerous install, however neat it looks.

All well and good, but I've noticed that many electricians (especially from industrial backgrounds) simply don't have either the test gear, or the knowledge of domestic testing required. It's ok to say "oh well, it's their own house", but if they decide to sell a few years down the road and RFC continuity/correct RCD operation were never checked, then someone else ends up with a potentially dangerous install, however neat it looks.

a spark with 30 years in,or the office kid/butcher/binman with 5 weeks in and brand new megger and an unopened manual...i'll let others decide

Reply to Another fuse board change post! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock