Discuss Another 'which SDS drill?' thread :) in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Smugley

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a 2kg corded SDS plus drill with roto-stop for chiselling. Prefer known brands and not much more than £100 or so. I've narrowed it down to three and simply can't decide which is the better drill as they are all similarly spec'ed and similar prices. So... any preferences? Does any one of these stand out as better technology, more reliable etc?

Bosch GBH 2-26 DRE
Dewalt D25113K
Makita HR2470

As you say not much to choose between them perhaps looking at how long the batteries last and at what cost to buy extra batteries may help you get down to the one you want. Ive heard good and bad for all of them but no seems to have covered the above points.

Chris

i've had the dewalt for about three years, its a nice drill, but gets a bit warm if you use it for a lot of chasing

As you say not much to choose between them perhaps looking at how long the batteries last and at what cost to buy extra batteries may help you get down to the one you want. Ive heard good and bad for all of them but no seems to have covered the above points.

Chris

hi chris
corded not cordless

most of my gear is makita and its all good.

I've used all 3, and abused the hell out of the Bosch and the Makita, chasing them literally to destruction.

The Dewalt felt a bit funny, much slower vibration than the other two, but reasonable enough.

The Makita 'handled' the nicest, if that makes sense - but seemed slightly quicker to give up the ghost, with the chuck going a bit shonky and having problems maintaining the roto-stop as well as occasionally letting the chisel bit fall out.

The Bosch seemed the sturdier out of the two that I abused and would probably be my choice, although to be perfectly honest they are fairly much of a muchness. I can't comment on better technology or anything, but I think if it's gonna come in for some fairly heavy duty bashing then my money would be on the Bosch lasting the longest

Bosch GBH 2-26 DRE
Dewalt D25113K
Makita HR2470[/quote]

I looked at these three as well when I bought mine a few weeks ago. I eventually settled in a hitachi dh24pc3 (118 incl vat from screwfix). been very happy with it. drills very fast and chases like nobody business.
I bought it on the basis of its huge impact energy since I wanted it for fast chasing. feels nice to use. used a makita 2470 as well, nice light drill, less impact energy than the hitachi.

Thanks guys for all the comments. Much appreciated.

Yeah I saw that Hitachi too. Looks like something out of Star Wars!

Last edited by a moderator:
Personal experience says, how much intense use do you want from the drill itself? If high end, then I would go for the Dewalt corded esp for the price you are looking at. I picked up the dw from Screwfix with all the extras (still only 90 quid), and its done all that I have asked from it and its still going! Its banged out chases and sockets in a full range of materials, up to, and including, stone and blue brick with little trouble. have used other makes which have burnt out after a couple of weeks of this type of use, so spending 90 quid on a DW, makes sense to me.

Hope this helps,

Tim

or, if you`re choosing on the basis of longevity (& not colour ;))

walk into your local hire shop & ask em what they hire out (the ultimate test for any tool)

They know what lasts best, their profit margins depend on it. Buy what they buy.

Then, when you no longer need it, you`ll be able to leave your still working perfectly Makita to your great grandson :D

p.s. agree with the poster about Hitachi tho` - tougher than you`d think. They make good gear these days.

i would definatley recomend the hitachi as wired as thay look they are amazing but with my gear it depends on what was on offer but the dewalt i have got at the moment chops boxes out like there going out of fassion they are amazing the bosch dont seem to have much power on the hammer action

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest problem with all SDS+ drills is in 'hammer only' mode, if used for a lot of chiselling and chasing out, there is a seal around the shaft of the bit that wears and eventually oil will start to appear on the shaft coming out of the chuck.

When this happens its time for a repair or replace as the then causes the air to escape rather than drive the piston to hit the end of the bit and will no longer function properly or at all.

Just remember chaps, buy cheap, you buy twice :)

Reply to Another 'which SDS drill?' thread :) in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock