Discuss Anybody have experience with DiLog DL9118 MFT? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

WillWX

-
Reaction score
As above really, my wholesalers has it on offer for a good price, they say it's made by Megger, all appears well.

But what is it like to use..

Does anybody have any experience with one?

I've come from a Fluke, which I like but is near double the price, so it's tempting.

Haha, it's not made by Megger - somebody looking for a sale??!

It's manufactured by another UK company, Seaward, exclusively for Dilog. It's a far cry in comparison to their older 9083P model as it's reliable, fast and very robust. The 9118 also offers a specification matching the mid-range Megger, including being able to test B type (DC current/high frequency RCDs) - a feature only capable of high end MFTs.

Quality is great for a tester at this price range and the carry case is similar to the Fluke although slightly more robust.

If you're local to us, pop in and we'll demo one for you. If not, see if your local wholesaler can instead.

Feedback on here may be sparse as the 9118 has only been in the market for a few months.

PM me with whatever your wholesaler is offering and I'll see what I can do for you :)

Haha, it's not made by Megger - somebody looking for a sale??!

It's manufactured by another UK company, Seaward, exclusively for Dilog. It's a far cry in comparison to their older 9083P model as it's reliable, fast and very robust. The 9118 also offers a specification matching the mid-range Megger, including being able to test B type (DC current/high frequency RCDs) - a feature only capable of high end MFTs.

Quality is great for a tester at this price range and the carry case is similar to the Fluke although slightly more robust.

If you're local to us, pop in and we'll demo one for you. If not, see if your local wholesaler can instead.

Feedback on here may be sparse as the 9118 has only been in the market for a few months.

PM me with whatever your wholesaler is offering and I'll see what I can do for you :)
Thank you for that overview, I have just bought one but haven't used it yet and just looking at it I was worried it was not ideal. Your post reassures me, I will just have to compare it in use to my existing tester to see how it goes.

They bought a load in the training centre I work in for the learners to use in their training and assessments. They're alright! Certainly an improvement on the previous ones. Rechargeable batteries don't seem to last very long (but then I guess they don't in many MFTs - I use 4 Duracells in my KT63 and they last for months) and the quality of the leads wasn't that great, in terms of the clips didn't make great contact when put on the probes... but at least the probes are compatible with R2 adapters, Lightmates etc, unlike some Other Leading Brands. :) The Dilogs seem pretty reliable and give consistent readings (allowing for the leads) and feature-wise they're good value I guess. I still prefer my little Kewtech, but I wouldn't pull a mardy face if someone lent me one to use! :)

Been considering the 9118 as it just in my post-college-fees-and-van budget compared to a used Megger and the case copies Fluke much loved box. Has anyone managed to use one for long enough to comment on the consistency of readings. Thanks for sharing your views.
Edit-should mentioned. Why so many used MFT'S on fleabay because "the company supplied one". Do these people spend a grand on a meter and give up or.....Pass the crowbar?

Despite on-going poverty, the IET need my beer vouchers for the 18th ed (a 'undred quid for the reg's and OSG in processed tree form- bargain!). When are they going to do an on-line version for sensible money? Even so, I'm wary of buying a Megger if it's been nicked from some poor(er) sod's van. The DiLog is tempting IF it's reliable?

Mine does everything it needs to, I thought I’d hate it, but it does everything my fluke did.

I wasn’t a fan of the leads to begin with, but soon got used to them. All the features are good and work well, I have it set to auto for loop and continuity which works well. The light is bright, whereas on my fluke it was dim. Battery life is good.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed, I bought mine purely for the price, equivalent fluke was ££££. Sometimes I see the flukes in eddys and think I miss it but that’s just me being a brand ----- and quickly realise that the extra £800 was well saved!

I miss it but that’s just me being a brand ----- and quickly realise that the extra £800 was well saved!
That is it! 17th Edition testing by PRIMARK. Everything your Gucci in a yellow box does - but cheaper.
Can I ask what was wrong with the leads? Will quality silicon leads fit? They are about 50 quid a set on Fleabay; unlike my jeans which are 15 quid in Primark :)

Exactly that, as long as you don’t mind hiding the box under your jumper when you take it on site and pretending it’s not yours when people ask who’s tester is this.. you’ll be fine.

I haven’t swapped the leads yet, as I’ve just got used to them and don’t mind them now. They’re a bit stiff and I was used to the fluke leads which weren’t stiff at all. I’m pretty sure you can get other leads to fit but I won’t bother just yet, the originals do the job.

Decision made. I'll report back when I ve got one and used it a few times. Report on my Primark jeans to follow. Oh...and some of my tools are Screw fix Titan but I can just shout "who left this stuff next to my DeWalt" if anyone asks ;)
Thanks all for your advice.

I also have the Dialog 9118 test kit..

A couple of things one thing i'd like to mention though. Firstly it doesnt test Type B RCDs as mentioned in the one early posts :(

It test Type A , AC, and Time Delayed or Selective (as they are soon to be referef to) RCDs
Leads supplied are a bit cheap, but Megger MFT range leads fit so I'll be using those when I need to replace mine.

My ( miner) negatives

You can't carry out 2 Wire impedance tests you need to plug in all three leads.

Low ohms readings is limited to 100 ohms I believe.

The test kit is pretty well protected, because of this it can throw you off when you doing insulation resistance tests as the test kit flashes red because it picks up the capicitive resistance of the cable you can see the voltage dropping and it won't let you carry out the next test until it's discharged,
I tested this against a Megger Mtf1920 on exactly the same circuit the Dialog showed 150M and the Megger was around 300M, so I believe it causes a big of an issue.

When testing Higher value Zs readings (TT) the scale isn't as accurate. The Dialog will round the result off to the nearest ohms.

Generally a good test kit, don't think you can go wrong with the price.
Big plus in my opinion is you get a Celebration cert and the option of paying ÂŁ60 for the first 3 years to get dialog to calabrate and provide firmware updates.

Thanks for that.
Did you say low ohm readings are limited to one hundred ohms? My Klein multi meter reads down to forty ohms and I thought we were looking for readings in the tenths of one ohm. Please excuse the written numbers. Dyslexics can get the zeros a bit exaggerated.

Don't get me on tryingto decipher the bloody reg's on a processed tree. Where's my digital copy IET?

Yes although i meant maximum value.

Having previously said it I just double checked the scale on the low ohms on this test kit is from 0.01 - 200 ohms.
So I got that maximum value a bit wrong.
What I was getting at is dome test kits maximum ohms value is alot higher, which can sometimes be useful to fault find.
Don't worry about dyslexica. I suffer with it and my spelling, as everyone will see.

Don't worry about your dyslexia --- That's about the only word I cannot spell without looking up --or thinking S/A swap at start ...alexia
( cheating have gramarly as part of Firefox PC browser)

Exactly that, as long as you don’t mind hiding the box under your jumper when you take it on site and pretending it’s not yours when people ask who’s tester is this.. you’ll be fine.

I haven’t swapped the leads yet, as I’ve just got used to them and don’t mind them now. They’re a bit stiff and I was used to the fluke leads which weren’t stiff at all. I’m pretty sure you can get other leads to fit but I won’t bother just yet, the originals do the job.
I have long since bothered what other people on sites say about your tools and equipment as it it usually said by semi skilled people trying to pretend that they know what they are talking about. The qualified people have more sense.

I have long since bothered what other people on sites say about your tools and equipment as it it usually said by semi skilled people trying to pretend that they know what they are talking about. The qualified people have more sense.
Yep! With you there. All my Erbauer kit has lasted five years constant use. When the Combi-drill had an issue, it was swapped over the counter.

Reply to Anybody have experience with DiLog DL9118 MFT? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net