Discuss Anyone use a "Metal Circular Saw" for cutting Tray? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-Matt

-
Reaction score
I use a lot of cable tray with what i do (building posh trailers), at the moment i tend to use the workshop Band-Saw.

However this is bit of a pain, as you have to do it really slowly, as the ends of the tray wobble once cut through, and if not careful it will chip the teeth of the bandsaw. And then i am in trouble, as they are quite expensive. Plus can only fit up to 6" tray in the band-saw vice.

I hate using a slitting disk, as its never a nice cut. And a hacksaw is too much effort.....

Have been looking at a Metal saw like this Milwaukee (which i use for everything else): Milwaukee M18FMCS-0 18v 150mm M18 Fuel Metal Saw Bare Unit - https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Milwaukee-M18Fmcs-0-4002395289264-18V-150Mm-M18-Fuel-Metal-Saw-Bare-Unit

It seems US electricians love these for cutting steel conduit etc, And seen a load of youtube vids of cutting all sorts of steel, which it goes through like butter. But can't find any of going though flexible stuff like cable tray?

Will it have the same issue of the tray flexing once halfway, and the saw jumping?

Anyone use one?

I use an Evolution rage mitre saw, plus a block of wood to clamp it properly without it bouncing around.
Or if that's not available a grinder, jigsaw, circular saw, whatever comes to hand, as long as you know how to use the tool and support/clamp the work as required you will get a good cut.

It sounds like your problems with the bandsaw come from inadequate clamping of the tray.

Used an 18v Dewalt metal cutting circular saw for many years when working on comms sites for cutting tray, cable ladder, unistrut and even the antenna brackets. The skill is keeping enough pressure on the cut to maintain a steady cutting speed without slowing the blade down otherwise the batteries die quite quickly

Not for me, cordless circular saw is far easier and no dust to breathe in from cutting

I get where you're coming from - it's just I often have to go wrapping tray around bits of buildings definitely not in straight lines so custom bends, sets etc. where it's nipping out bits of the rims.

hacksaw for me. keep the old skills alive. anybody can butcher metal with power tools. takes a skilled person to cut metal straight.

Cheers, Well i went for it and ordered the Milwaukee which turned up this morning.

It absolutely flies through tray, and actually leaves a very neat cut.
Feels a good quality tool as well.

Can think it will also be good for steel conduit, din rail, steel hydraulic tube etc.

Will be interesting to see how long the blade stays sharp for.

I have used the Rage Evolution type of blades,to cut boarding used around the bank cash machines .... legitimately....it is 32mm ply,sheathed both sides with a thin,bonded layer of stainless steel sheet. It coped fairly easily,but the waste material is brutal :(

For the perfect job on the OP's trailer work,might i recommend,investing in a water laser,or Fibre laser....lovely finish and +/- 0.1mm ;)

Might be a bit late but hers my experience in cutting metal, either tray or trunking.
The best saw to cut metal is a ....metal circular saw, mainly for the guards then for the rotation speed. Using a regular wood cutting saw will throw all the waste literally in your face. Been there, done that and its not the best experience.
Now, if you are a dewalt person, like I am, you're stuck with their 373, decade old, brushed motor metal saw, which is antic but still better than a wood saw. For some reason, dewalt still didn't come up with a brushless motor saw.
But then you have Makita, Milwaukee and even Hilti I think, which they have the latest generation brushless motor metal saws.
Personally I use a dewalt jigsaw with a metal blade, for a big big majority of the cuts. Adaptable speed and way cheaper blades compared with saws. The only problem was with the compartment dividers on the trunking, but what the jigsaw blade cannot reach, I finish it with either a hacksaw or even a pair of tinsnips.

Hope it helps...

Reply to Anyone use a "Metal Circular Saw" for cutting Tray? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock