Discuss Approved vs Registered in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

ngoodson1969

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and just wondered what the difference is between being registered with (Eg) NICEIC and being Approved by the same organisation. Does being registered mean that you haven't yet been assessed for the two jobs or whatever the criteria is? Thanks.

Just to say, my name is Nick and I live in Brighton and am soon to become a domestic installer!! All going well.

Cheers in advance.

Nick

Nick
I started off as a domestic installer with the niceic then moved to approved contractor a year later I've been registered with them for four years theirs not much difference the costs are the same but there is minimum qualifications for approved contractor obvoiusly your scope of work is then all the red certificates which include fire alarms emergengey lighting etc it all greatly depends on the scope of work you do but my adivce is if you can meet the requirement for approved then go for it.
Regards Russ

Sorry nick forgot to say im new to the site too also give me a shout if you need advice on getting through your assessment

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Russ,
Just a quick questiion.
I am trying to get on the NICEIC domestic installer scheme. A friend of mine said its Almost impossible as its really hard and they want to see 3 jobs all near by. A major job and minor job.

Is it really that difficult? I have just finished an installation 1st and 2nd fix of an office/storeroom at the end of a long garden ( approx 44meters). Would this be enough to show? The install includes a main isolator at the main building, amoured cable along the garden ( buried ), new c/unit in storeroom / office. Is this enough or do I need to show them other jobs?
Thanks in advance
Sav

Hi Russ,
Just a quick questiion.
I am trying to get on the NICEIC domestic installer scheme. A friend of mine said its Almost impossible as its really hard and they want to see 3 jobs all near by. A major job and minor job.

Is it really that difficult? I have just finished an installation 1st and 2nd fix of an office/storeroom at the end of a long garden ( approx 44meters). Would this be enough to show? The install includes a main isolator at the main building, amoured cable along the garden ( buried ), new c/unit in storeroom / office. Is this enough or do I need to show them other jobs?
Thanks in advance
Sav

I thought it was two jobs you had to show within 30 minutes of each other?

One job that needs a MWC and the other a full EIC.

So use your install as above and extend a lighting circuit,or swap a socket in the kitchen or something on another job,even your own home.Thats the way i read it anyway.
Or better still phone them and ask them exactly what they need.

Domestic Installer Scheme (Part P) - NICEIC Schemes - Approved contractor scheme - NICEIC Group

Hi Russ,
Just a quick questiion.

Thanks in advance
Sav

Yeah you are still gonig to need another two minor works jobs to show such as extra socket etc.
they might only look at the major one an one other but still require three.
One more thing that job above has it got an earth rod fitted ?

Agreed phone them and ask ! when i done mine i ran a new supply to my garage inc garage cu and sockets/lights etc had to change to replacing my main house cu as they wouldnt exept the garage install only the supply cable from house to garage was notifiable as this was a distribution circuit so worth confirming with them first.
as to the assessment not as bad as you think ! i know a guy who passed in 45mins he done his main cu and across the road a loft light he wasnt asked many questions or had much testing and hes with NICEIC (no joke) mine was 3hrs aprox and the guy came from oxford there not there to trip you up just for your money ! as long as you have the kettle on and all your certs/books/ins/test gear etc etc your be ok ! their give you more advice than anything. Bottom line if you know what your doing and do it by the regs your pass no worries.
Good luck !
Regards
Kung.
P.S. Its 2 jobs ! 1 minor 1 major as on NICEIC website approved contractor will be more.

Reply to Approved vs Registered in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock