Discuss Are people moving away from rings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I was enquiring as to whether New Zealand had done away with licencing for Electricians.
I’ve been informed that they have, thought I’d ask a Kiwi whether it is in fact the case.

I was enquiring as to whether New Zealand had done away with licencing for Electricians.
I’ve been informed that they have, thought I’d ask a Kiwi whether it is in fact the case.

In that case you could have worded your original post better, it looks like one of those SA comments you get on here when someone ask's for advice.

Most of the special circuits, that should be on an individual DP CB if I can remember them all are:
Washing Machine
Tumble Dryer
Oven
Hob
Dish Washer
Water Heater
UFH
Fridge On separate RCD
Freezer On separate RCD
Alarms
Outside dependancies
Garage
Electric heating inc ASHP
Towel Rails
Extract Fans
Max of eight sockets on 1.5mm protected by 16A
Max of twelve sockets on 2.5mm protected by 20A
No ring mains allowed
All lighting to have an earth running to them even if not used
Everything metal has to be earthed even if built into the walls
No T & E allowed all cables must be double insulated and of the same cross section
That's all I can think of at the moment, but if anyone is interested PM me and I can direct to the best information source.

Most of the first 15 items on that list is over engineering and a complete waste of resources and money.

Most of the special circuits, that should be on an individual DP CB if I can remember them all are:
Washing Machine
Tumble Dryer
Oven
Hob
Dish Washer
Water Heater
UFH
Fridge On separate RCD
Freezer On separate RCD
Alarms
Outside dependancies
Garage
Electric heating inc ASHP
Towel Rails
Extract Fans
Max of eight sockets on 1.5mm protected by 16A
Max of twelve sockets on 2.5mm protected by 20A
No ring mains allowed
All lighting to have an earth running to them even if not used
Everything metal has to be earthed even if built into the walls
No T & E allowed all cables must be double insulated and of the same cross section
That's all I can think of at the moment, but if anyone is interested PM me and I can direct to the best information source.
Need a big CU to fit all those DPCBs Mike

CU.jpg

Certainly do.

seen smaller boards running factories.
1980's houses were getting utility rooms
1990's " " " en suite bathrooms
2010's " are " plant rooms.

next "progression" might be nuclear generators in the attic for all power, heat,cooling, cooking etc.

might even be able to find a space to sit and watch the telly.

The start of my posts on this thread was concerning the use of of DP RCD's in the EU and that rings aren't used, also note that three phase is common on domestic supplies, especially in more rural areas.

For what I have seen in the E.U. consumer units have an RCD as the main switch and D.P MCB's so if there is an N-E fault you turn off the C.B wherein the UK if we have an N-E fault you need to find the fault.

I think the point is that when you abandon the diversity of 32A socket-outlet circuits (note: 32A but not specifically rings) you end up with many more circuits because each circuit may only be able to supply one appliance. Our house had one ring serving the main living areas including the whole kitchen with washing machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer, microwave, all portable cooking appliances etc. The 30A fuse never blew in 25 years and when replaced by a 30A MCB that never tripped. It would take four or five 20A circuits to give the same flexibility.

I do like DP or perhaps better SPSN MCBs for DP isolation. Europeans were often ahead of us in these things. Old Dutch fuse boxes (of which I have a few) that use Diazed bottle fuses, have a DP isolator for each outgoing circuit as standard, so they were onto this even before MCBs.

I used to think rings would gradually be replaced by radials. My tutor for one was dead against rings. But I can't see it happening now - replacing one ring with probably several radials when each extra circuit means an extra £200+ on an AFDD. 32A radials? Maybe, if they start making sockets with terminals that will accept two or three 6mm2 conductors!

Reply to Are people moving away from rings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net