Discuss Are you an electrician with more work than you can handle?!?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Too much work? Not enough time? Why don't you take on a trainee?
trying to understand the trade a little bit more, can you please tell me why you don't take on people to help you when there are so many on here offering cheap or even free work to learn more about practical electrics.
What are your red or green flags when seeing a ad for something like "will work for free to gain experience" or "looking for a job to do my nvq (at my own cost)"

like is theoretical qualifications a green flag? Or red because they won't want a apprenticeship?
would you be more likely to take someone on if they Had there own public liability insurance?

hope this starts a conversation to try and air out the restraint we as the trainee feel from the potential trainers out there that could earn more money and customers from the additional help.

thanks
shaun:shades_smile:

I think there could many reasons Shaun.

I had a young lad locally offer to come and work for me for free but I turned him down. I can only give my reasons:

1. I am really busy, under a fair bit of pressure and think that I would have had to spend more time explaining things to him compared to the help he could offer.
2. I would not want to train up someone locally as they would simply be my competition.
3. I do not understand the new laws enough and do not even know if it is legal to have someone working for you for free.
4. Theres a new law that states you have to give a pension to employees. I doubt this applies, but again it puts me off.
5. I very much like working by myself.
6. I can concentrate better when I work by myself.
7. I would feel morally obliged to offer some payment.
8. I personally dont feel I would be the best mentor as I have not undertaken an apprenticeship.

I hope that gives you some ideas on how to circumnavigate your way around them! :)

Last edited:

I had a young lad locally offer to come and work for me for free but I turned him down. I can only give my reasons:

1. I am really busy, under a fair bit of pressure and think that I would have had to spend more time explaining things to him compared to the help he could offer.
2. I would not want to train up someone locally as they would simply be my competition.
3. I do not understand the new laws enough and do not even know if it is legal to have someone working for you for free.
4. Theres a new law that states you have to give a pension to employees. I doubt this applies, but again it puts me off.
8. I personally dont feel I would be the best mentor as I have not undertaken an apprenticeship.

I hope that gives you some ideas on how to circumnavigate your way around them! :)

yep thats pretty much my reasons too^^^^

big companies can absorb trainees alot easier, for a one man band it just costs him far more time, money and distractions than he would get benefit from, then when said trainee is qualified and knows all your secrets and tricks, he dumps you and starts up on his own

big companies can absorb trainees alot easier, for a one man band it just costs him far more time, money and distractions than he would get benefit from, then when said trainee is qualified and knows all your secrets and tricks, he dumps you and starts up on his own

I don't really agree with all of your statement the latter,if everybody thought that way NOBODY would ever get trained up.I started with an one man band set up, was his Saturday boy when 15, he took me on when left school, and he said will teach me but you will need to go with bigger firms as well to get the vast experience needed done just that.!

Too much work? Not enough time? Why don't you take on a trainee?
trying to understand the trade a little bit more, can you please tell me why you don't take on people to help you when there are so many on here offering cheap or even free work to learn more about practical electrics.
What are your red or green flags when seeing a ad for something like "will work for free to gain experience" or "looking for a job to do my nvq (at my own cost)"

like is theoretical qualifications a green flag? Or red because they won't want a apprenticeship?
would you be more likely to take someone on if they Had there own public liability insurance?

hope this starts a conversation to try and air out the restraint we as the trainee feel from the potential trainers out there that could earn more money and customers from the additional help.

thanks
shaun:shades_smile:

It might be an idea when you approach company's/one man bands to tell em that your self employed (mate or whatever), and that you can invoice them for any work you do. This would enable any employee to not have to worry about employment/pension laws so much. Employees can only use the self employed for a limited amount of time however I think. This way might get you a start somewhere for a week or two, then if they like your work and are quids in they might be in a better position to offer you full time role.

The Staff have been working on something for a while now. We will be posting up something soon, watch this space and also keep your eye on the TS??????

thanks guys although is wasn't what I wanted to hear it was what I expected to hear :D

I don't really agree with all of your statement the latter,if everybody thought that way NOBODY would ever get trained up.I started with an one man band set up, was his Saturday boy when 15, he took me on when left school, and he said will teach me but you will need to go with bigger firms as well to get the vast experience needed done just that.!

It might be an idea when you approach company's/one man bands to tell em that your self employed (mate or whatever), and that you can invoice them for any work you do. This would enable any employee to not have to worry about employment/pension laws so much. Employees can only use the self employed for a limited amount of time however I think. This way might get you a start somewhere for a week or two, then if they like your work and are quids in they might be in a better position to offer you full time role.

thanks to you guys also I will research the laws around self employed people subcontracting/paying other self employed workers, I'm not looking to take up so much of someone's time as any practical practise I can do at college or at home, the help I will need will only be to complete my nvq assessments without having to plough into a 4 year apprenticeship, I'm only half way through level 2 so plenty of time yet but I just hope that they integrate the Nvq onto level 3 next year......doubtful :32: lol

The Staff have been working on something for a while now. We will be posting up something soon, watch this space and also keep your eye on the TS??????

come on let's not start a mystery novel now!! Spill the beans lol

thanks
shaun

I did take on an apprentice in september this year so I've done my bit:prrr: , but having said that I couldn't cope if it wasn't for already having Darrel my main Electrician to show him the ropes. It's true they do take a lot of looking after, If I'm honest I do liken it to having a child you have to show them how to do everything for the 1st time but hopefully it will benefit my company in the future. I always wanted to take an apprentice from this forum but you all live to far away for it to work which is a shame because you lads are full of ambition and will make a good addition to any spark who gives you a shot.
All I can say is keep trying and don't give up you will all eventually get a placement.
Regarding Pauls comment it was an idea I had a while ago and hopefully between all the staff we can make it a reality soon, so keep watching out in the TS.

I did take on an apprentice in september this year so I've done my bit:prrr: , but having said that I couldn't cope if it wasn't for already having Darrel my main Electrician to show him the ropes. It's true they do take a lot of looking after, If I'm honest I do liken it to having a child you have to show them how to do everything for the 1st time but hopefully it will benefit my company in the future. I always wanted to take an apprentice from this forum but you all live to far away for it to work which is a shame because you lads are full of ambition and will make a good addition to any spark who gives you a shot.
All I can say is keep trying and don't give up you will all eventually get a placement.
Regarding Pauls comment it was an idea I had a while ago and hopefully between all the staff we can make it a reality soon, so keep watching out in the TS.

well done buddy :clap:
im sure there are loads of people out there like you taking on people to benefit both trainer and trainee which is amazing but like most highly desired jobs out there the competition is stiff and becoming full of more and more qualifications and regulations needed to become an electrician.
like others with enough determination I will get there eventually!!
Just need to read the small print of the nvq 3 assessments and find people that would be willing to come and supervise me do those jobs in my garage or house lol
:29:everyone get in the garage lol

The one main reason that puts me off having an apprentice, is the actual work. I'm fairly busy at the moment, and hope to be for the foreseeable (touch wood) but if that phone doesn't ring and work drys up you still have to pay whoever.

I wouldn't completely rule the idea out in the future but not just yet. I found the OP refreshing though and i definitely wish you all the best.

Mark

The one main reason that puts me off having an apprentice, is the actual work. I'm fairly busy at the moment, and hope to be for the foreseeable (touch wood) but if that phone doesn't ring and work drys up you still have to pay whoever.

I wouldn't completely rule the idea out in the future but not just yet. I found the OP refreshing though and i definitely wish you all the best.

Mark

Mark I was exactly the same as you a couple of years back, snowed under with work and wanted to take a lad on but worried about affording him if it went quiet but I took the plunge and have never looked back, I've got 2 lads now 2 vans and am just considering aa third lad because we are still snowed under.
All I would say is if you are honest with your lads from day one that while ever there's work you will keep them on but if you drop to only enough for you that you will sadly have to let them go, then I think the majority would be happy to take the gamble.

well done buddy :clap:
im sure there are loads of people out there like you taking on people to benefit both trainer and trainee which is amazing but like most highly desired jobs out there the competition is stiff and becoming full of more and more qualifications and regulations needed to become an electrician.
like others with enough determination I will get there eventually!!
Just need to read the small print of the nvq 3 assessments and find people that would be willing to come and supervise me do those jobs in my garage or house lol
:29:everyone get in the garage lol

Cheers Shaun, I've got a job down in trowbridge wilts coming up soon I don't know how far away from you that is but may be able to give you a bit of paid experience down there, it's not 100% yet so no promises.

Cheers Shaun, I've got a job down in trowbridge wilts coming up soon I don't know how far away from you that is but may be able to give you a bit of paid experience down there, it's not 100% yet so no promises.

GMES that would be amazing, I will pm you with my phone number for if you ever need any help around Bristol or the surrounding areas

Marc I think you are the only one who can make that decision but like gmes said he has never looked back and I say fair play because he has tripled his workload and given 2 lads a job should be very proud!!!

So you learned all you can from his investment in you, then when its payback time you jumped ship to a bigger company?

thats pretty much what i said wasnt it?

Even with his blessing thats exactly what you did!

thats exactly what i did as well and probably nearly every self employed bloke on here, thats why companies generally dont bother with apprentiships now, they just poach the finished article off another company or import them from abroad

I have 1, my youngest son. We're 6 weeks in and he's starting to be quite handy. He actually connected 2 downlights yesterday, albeit only with 1 cable at each one but did a nice neat job. I always let him carry my heavy toolbox to help build up his strength- see how caring and considerate I am ! :D

I have 1, my youngest son. We're 6 weeks in and he's starting to be quite handy. He actually connected 2 downlights yesterday, albeit only with 1 cable at each one but did a nice neat job. I always let him carry my heavy toolbox to help build up his strength- see how caring and considerate I am ! :D

I can hardly get a word out of my 1st year all day...think he's scared as the other lads say he comes out of his shell when I'm not about lol. Had him cable tying all the BT's, TV's, door entry cables on the tray down the riser on a block of flats that I am doing today. My second year is better than some sparks I know lol.

I've always emphasised the importance of cleaning up thoroughly as well as being being polite,friendly and well mannered to my lad Lee. He'll quite often be given tips by customers but doesn't think I should reduce his wages by those amounts lol.

dave that must be nice! I'd love to be in a position where I'm passing on my trade to my child :party:

Last edited:
dave that must be nice! I'd love to be in a position where I'm passing on my trade to my child :party:

It is really nice mate but can be a bit tricky as my expectations and standards are high and he sometimes thinks he'll have an easy time of it working with his soft old dad but 95% of the time it's all good really. :smiley2:

Reply to Are you an electrician with more work than you can handle?!?! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net