Discuss Armourd cable clipped direct will the sun uv affect the cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AA410

Hi all i have a customer that wants a supply to an outbuilding clipped direct to a brick wall looks to be the best route but the cable will be in full sun will this have much of an affect to the cable advice please

The outer sheath on SWA cable is UV stabilised PVC so it can be installed in direct sunlight. If it's running surface on an outbuilding you might still want to install steel capping over it for other reasons such as preventing physical damage from vehicles and theft etc.

Last edited:
Yes it will have an effect, it will eventually break down under the UV radiation.
Cables suitable for use outside will have a black sheath which is more UV stable than other cable sheaths so it will survive a lot longer, but ultimately it will go at some point in time.

Thanks for your help it is black pvc steel wire Armored cable as i understand it will go grey in time as far as the ambient temp it will be around 25 deg

Yes it will have an effect, it will eventually break down under the UV radiation.
Cables suitable for use outside will have a black sheath which is more UV stable than other cable sheaths so it will survive a lot longer, but ultimately it will go at some point in time.

I've seen 30/40 year old SWA's exposed direct with little degragation... think the swa will probably have a longer lifespan than any installer on the UV concern..

I'm over here in Saudi up over 2000 ft above sea level, where the temp is 50+ in the summer and UV values off the scale, they don't do a sun cream with enough protection, and I've seen SWA, that is over 20 yrs old and perfect.

The wages must be good at that temp it must be like standing in an oven

If you can imagine coming out of a AC office/car it is literally like walking into someone holding an hair dryer and pointing it at you the whole time.

Ha Ha Ris I hav a photo I'm sure you seen it of a poster that has a old fashioned mercury thermometer with a huge 6" nail hammered into the scale at 49c, labelled SA HSE

If you can imagine coming out of a AC office/car it is literally like walking into someone holding an hair dryer and pointing it at you the whole time.

Ha Ha Ris I hav a photo I'm sure you seen it of a poster that has a old fashioned mercury thermometer with a huge 6" nail hammered into the scale at 49c, labelled SA HSE
don't forget the burning hands etc on the steering wheel and the seat belts etc.

the most miserable ive been was in turkey at the airport and there ac was broken, now that was hot

If it's a dry heat you can live with it and get used to it. Humidity and heat together is the killer for me, I just spend the day dripping in sweat.

Sounds like Durban, it's as humid as a ------ armpit. Cape town gets hot but mostly without the high humidity thankfully.

Reply to Armourd cable clipped direct will the sun uv affect the cable in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net