Discuss At a difficult crossroads and don't know what to do. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
Long story short; My employer is starting proceedings to get rid of me as my current 15hr contract (reduced from 37.5 as a reasonable adjustment to help my attendance levels - high levels of sickness absence due to back pain) is going to be removed and hours reinstated.

Obviously this is going to set me up for a fall and ultimately dismissed as I won't be able to maintain attendance levels at 37.5 hours if I can't maintain levels at 15 hrs - to give you an idea I've only managed a 1/3rd of my contracted hours since the reduction in December.

This gives me 3 major worries;
1. If I'm dismissed on medical grounds, DWP may take the view that I made myself unemployed willingly

2. Securing another job (current wage £9ph @ 15hrs) that I can get to work around college

3. Not securing a job,wanting I would have to quit college to increase the amount of universal credit coming in

If it was just me it would be a no contest stay at college but I've got a wife and 3 kids to think about.

Anyone got any advice

I've resigned myself to the light at the tunnel being the oncoming train and that it will hit me, im already progressively moving though the internal disciplinary proceedings (4 stages, I'm on 2)

Could you say a little more about what you can and cannot do physically? Are you better standing rather than sat down for example. Can you drive still? Are you on painkillers? Do you have evidence (ie GP appointments and hospital referrals, therapy sessions)? How much have you done to become qualified? What certificates do you have? Is your wife in a position to work or are the children too young (shows my generation).

I sympathise - I have had sciatica for the 7 weeks but after some therapy and care with posture it has largely gone - but for a while my wife had to put my socks on!

Cheers for the reply Marconi, ended up getting union involved and that lessened the train impact; got a written warning but no doubt they'll come after me again

To answer your questions; before 2015 I was a fit and active lad (while I had cerebral palsy and hydrocephalus from birth, I've not let it hold me back) but now most days are pain-filled marathon back to bed. At work I've got a rise/fall desk and a funky sit/lean forward chair, which helps mix-up my posture (I'm often practicing my archery while in work, changing postures and what not, two birds one stone there!

I can do the job I'm in now, I can do up and down, in tight spaces, cramped cupboards and all that crap, I just pay for it afterwards. I'm currently on Tramadol, Amitriptyline and have been on and off Pregablin and Gabapentin at up to maximum permitted dosage; the stuff is great....until the tolerance I have kicks in, then it's not so good.

MRIs etc reveal no damage, beside 'wear and tear'; no slipped discs, pinched nerves, bulging disc etc. They can find no discernible explaination for the crippling pain I'm in day-to-day. I've exhausted physio and hydro treatments; nothing else they can give or do for me; I do the exercises religiously.

As for my course, just need to hang in till May then I'll have my Level 2. My suffering wife has the kids (a 2 yo and 2 1yo twins - all boys) all day, coupled with general anxiety disorder and family that point blank refuse Todo anything to offer her help when she is desperately struggling - They've cut her dead since we got together, no idea why but they simply refuse to do anything for her or with her, even when I'm not there and say to them that I'm not there, the coast is clear etc...not a ----ing dickie bird....theres more but that's for another day.

What a miserable predicament; I am sure many of us are glad it is not us.

As you have said you should finish the course to secure the Level 2. When you do ask your course director to write a short report on your performance and aptitude for your 'boast book'/CV. Ask him if he knows of any kindly employers in your area.

You probably need to seek out an employer with a bigger workforce so that they can cope better with those days you cannot work. I think - don't know because only you can - that working in a factory environment which is more constant would be better than scrambling around a house, office or building. Are there for example any electrical panel makers in your neck of the woods? Motor rewinders? Or a role which requires you to roam - for example with your local DNO or National Grid surveying their network and assets, doing checks, investigating faults, sizing up work. You get my drift.

As soon as she feels confident about it I recommend you send your children to a nursery so that your wife can have some time to herself. We don't have any children - lots of fun trying though! -so childcare and nurseries are a closed book to me. But I read and hear that more funding is being put in place to allow mothers to get into or return to work - so worth investigating. And then your wife can consider doing some part-time work which is child-friendly which would get her out of the house to which would be good for her - some income.

Cultivate and make friends of both your age and older to build a support network other than from your family. Inviting people round for supper (main course and dessert - we call it supper, chat/TV and go by 9pm) is easy. Simple food is best. This could help you seek out other contacts and work in your area.

I will leave the medical side of the pain to the doctors but suggest you contact your local hospice for advice on its control or alleviation. You need your GP to refer you. There are also pain management courses for the different causes of it like back-pain - my wife will do some research.

Last save up some money however little you can put away regularly - and do that on pay day.

Also investigate ESA:

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) - https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance

Others will have some wisdom and may have been in the same predicament.

:)

Last edited:
My wife works in HR. And from listening to her at the end of a stressful day, she works in the interests of both her employer but also for the employees.

She often recommends employees contact ACAS for impartial independent advice.

Give them a ring @Lister1987.

Forgot to update this; I got given a verbal warning, mostly aimed at not using official channels (read: phone) and making contact via email instead.

Still got my job so that's something

Reply to At a difficult crossroads and don't know what to do. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net