Discuss Attaching battery balancer to battery series in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

droidus

DIY
Reaction score
I have two batteries in a series. The balancer has a black, white, and red cable. I understand where the black and red go, but don't understand where the white "pole" goes. It is only a single cable. Do I need to attach a splitter to it, or do I just attach it to one of the terminals in the middle of the series? And then attach those opposite poles on each terminal?

20220401153603121.jpg

You first strap your two batteries to each other in series with a separate piece of (white) cable, as shown at the centre connection in your first diagram. The white wire from the balancer then goes to this - It doesn't matter which of those two centre terminals.

Then the outer two terminals (+/-) get attached to the Inverter, respectively, correct?

I noticed that the battery terminal screws go into the red and black eyelets on the battery balancer, but not for the white pole.... any ideas on how I attach?

I noticed that the battery terminal screws go into the red and black eyelets on the battery balancer, but not for the white pole.... any ideas on how I attach?
I'm not clear how the white wire is terminated - is it just cut, or is the insulation stripped off at the end?
If the latter, you could bodge it by loosening one of the middle strap battery terminal screws, wind the wire (clockwise) under the head of the screw, and do it up again!
Or if you can acquire or borrow a crimp tool from an acquaintance, put an appropriate termination on it.

I've attached an image of them.
How would I "uncrimp" the eyelet off the white pole? Would that be the easiest way to fix this so it fits?
IMG_20220403_080055.jpg

I've attached an image of them.
How would I "uncrimp" the eyelet off the white pole? Would that be the easiest way to fix this so it fits?
View attachment 96583
Oh I see - I misunderstood.
You're saying the hole in the middle of that terminal is not big enough for the battery screw?

(Incidentally - are both +ve and -ve battery terminal scres the same size? If not, try the other one!)

I'd be keen to keep the crimp terminal on the lead, and try to open the hole out somehow.
if you don't have the equipment to drill it out, you could cut a bit out of it opposite where the wire is attached, and open out the 'arms' with pliers to form something like a fork type connector:
:39D59E3C-460A-4A39-92B7-FBD334ED1230.jpeg
Doing crimp terminals properly requires knowledge and the correctly maintained ratchet-type tools.
You have a factory done joint there, so it seems a shame to chop it off!

Reply to Attaching battery balancer to battery series in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net