Discuss Back to being a spark after gap of 18 years!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

forest

Hi all, after a gap of some 18 years i want to get back into being a spark - have just been made redundant and am looking to rekindle the old skills. In the interim I worked in many fields, latterly as a building surveyor (not RICS though). Previously worked as an electrician for 11 years, starting in a 4-year apprenticeship in 1979 (phew!) I passed the C&G 236 Parts I and II and also was an approved JIB electrician.

I have lots of electrical experiance but am clearly rusty and now the 17th Regs are here.

Any advice on what i need to do to get back into the game - ideally I would like to work self employed, largely doing domestic work - so would need to go down NICEIC and Part P route.

Thanks

Welcome Forest,

Back on the tools after eighteen years, you're right there have been quite a few changes, 15th Edition then wasn't it?

There have been several threads about which Part P route to take so have a shufty at them and they may help you make up your mind.

With regard to recommendations about what you need to do regarding the theory side you will no doubt receive some first class advice from Shakey.

On the practical side, until you get your paperwork up together to go it alone, why not see if any local contractors need a mate. You will get your practical skills back up to speed, learn some of the practicalities of the changes and also get paid for learning.

What ever you decide about which way you go, every success for the future.

Hi Forest,
Just read your post and I too am wanting to get back into the game after a break of about 12 years. I have already purchased the 17th and downloaded the exam simulator and am finding it a bit daunting at the changes from the 15th, but no matter once a park always a spark and if we have got it then lets use it. Tony's advice on trying for a mates position I thought was sound at least I will be a shove in the right direction so good luck and let us know how you get on

Hi all, after a gap of some 18 years i want to get back into being a spark - have just been made redundant and am looking to rekindle the old skills .... but am clearly rusty and now the 17th Regs are here.

Any advice on what i need to do to get back into the game - ideally I would like to work self employed, largely doing domestic work - so would need to go down NICEIC and Part P route.

Thanks

Join the club mate! Back to the tools myself after 20 years away, finished my 236 in 1984 and did my 17th Edition 2382 in 2008 :D

You need to do your C&G 2382 17th Edition as a minimum. I've got loads of example exam papers & questions if you want them emailing, drop me a pm. Wasn't too bad, some changes in in names and procedures from what you might be used to, and loads more RCDs everywhere but otherwise not too different to what we knew under 15th & 16th Editions. Oh, and good 'ole Red & Black have changed to European Brown & Blue. :eek:

Doing what I can for who I can right now, until I have to join one of the (commonly called scam) providers.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for the advice and support guys....nice to know i'm in good company!

I'm sorting out a 2382-10 course (where did all these mini 'colleges' spring up from!!!! Where have all the local tech colleges gone!!!).

Im going to go back as self-employed but need to sort out the Domestic Installer Scheme early on. A bit problematic for 'returnees' to do the necessary work to assess competancy...bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Also, need to deal with the 'rusty' situation - going to have to see if any sparks want to take on an experienced but rusty mate (im in north east london so....if you need a hand....get in touch!). But, if can't get any mate type work to ease my way back in will have to 'de-rust' on the job! Clearly Regs have changed but the fundemental features of the job like standard of workmanship, pride in abililty, fault finding nous, how to efficiently and properly run cables, conduits, micc from A to B remain the same.

Any comments or feedback on your 'returnee' experience would, I sure, prove useful to me and other 'returnees'.

Thanks for the advice and support guys....nice to know i'm in good company!

I'm sorting out a 2382-10 course (where did all these mini 'colleges' spring up from!!!! Where have all the local tech colleges gone!!!).

Im going to go back as self-employed but need to sort out the Domestic Installer Scheme early on. A bit problematic for 'returnees' to do the necessary work to assess competancy...bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Also, need to deal with the 'rusty' situation - going to have to see if any sparks want to take on an experienced but rusty mate (im in north east london so....if you need a hand....get in touch!). But, if can't get any mate type work to ease my way back in will have to 'de-rust' on the job! Clearly Regs have changed but the fundemental features of the job like standard of workmanship, pride in abililty, fault finding nous, how to efficiently and properly run cables, conduits, micc from A to B remain the same.

Any comments or feedback on your 'returnee' experience would, I sure, prove useful to me and other 'returnees'.

I will be in the same boat as you when I get back to the UK.

I don´t feel that optmistic about being taken on as a mate etc so will have to re-kindle on the job as yourself.

The only thing I would say is don´t invest in a 400-500 quid course for the 17th. There is so much stuff on the net (or the Electa home course) for example ....and you can take the regs book into the exam anyway.

Save the money for tools...or another course that would be much more useful such as the Inspecting & Testing 2391.

hi well a good book to get which tells you mostly what you need to know up to date and not to ardious is the "(Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations (Approved Document P, Electrical Safety in Dwellings) (Paperback)" Green book with a red stripe for 17th i have since passing my course found this book essential as i do the OSG, tables etc, good luck nice to see some "old timers" back no offense intended am no spring chicken myself

Hi looks like a few of us going this route! I have my 17th edition to sit on the 12/12 and would really appreciate the help of your exam papers. Thanks

Reply to Back to being a spark after gap of 18 years!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock