Discuss Bathroom Downlighters and Zones in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gafin

Hi All,

I'm at the start of my 2330, so please forgive the question.

I've got 4 x 12V 50W downlights in my bathroom ceiling at home, they are all fire rated, but are IP20.

I know that lighting with IPX4 has to be used in Zones 1 and 2, but the downlighter is 1.3m off the floor level, so outside of the zones.

So as reg 701.414.4.5 (ii) says that a SELF/PELV circuit has to be IP XXB or IP2X am I right in thinking that this is okay?

The closest source of water to the light is a shower head thats not fixed, that comes off a mixer tap. I know it would be best to change all the downlighters to atleast IP44 and firerated but that is quite costly if you dont want one where the lamp sits about an inch away so gives a very narrow beam.

Photo is attached for clarification!

Thanks in advance!

Gafin.

Attachments

• Bathroom Downlighters and Zones photo - EletriciansForums.net
    photo.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 60
Gafin, its not clear from your pic whether the light is over the shower screen or inside of it,or outside of it.....if any of the first two then it is a possibilty that it could receive inadvertant spray from the unfixed shower head. In these instances it would require protection from external influences....i.e. to IP X5

i would change them to IP44 , i put them in all bathrooms. It would be safe and legal but in your own home you gotta go for the best mode of protection.

Guys, we are just confusing Gafin. I have quoted the regulation which we can all read. As long as the transformers are fixed in the loft so we cant pull them through the hole whilst having a shower, then it is fine as is.

Its a selv circuit.

From my understanding of his initial question, he was asking "are his IP20 lights" safe and if not what should he replace them with.

I gave him the simple answer with the regulation. If he was changing them for his own piece of mind, then I would follow what he says and would do the same in my home.

With his ceiling at 2.3M he could put a 240V fan above the shower (providing its RCD protected and ip x4) so which is the greater evil, the 12V light in or the 240V fan.

Sometimes, to many answers just confuse the initial question.

no beef of course we're all obviously being as pro as poss :eek:

If its a selv circuit and the transformers in the loft as well as the fittings being above 2.25M from Finnished floor level there out of zone no problems. I assume the swith is outside bathroom door.

Very good diagram on BRG p169 showing zones.
also Reg. 701.512.3

I agree with dave

Besides i have them:cool:

Reply to Bathroom Downlighters and Zones in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock