Discuss Bathroom Downlights 17th again? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bathroomboy

At the customers house today to decomision shower circuit in prep for bathroom refit (mixer shower replacing) tns supply, old wylex cu with plug in mcbs, question is do I really need to protect new bathroom downlights with an rcd, no cables will be sunk in the wall and further more downlights are out of the zones at 2.25 mtrs.
Thanks again

Hay mate.

I'm afraid that all circuits within a bathroom must be 30mA RCD/RCBO protected regardless of any other factors.

Cheers.

Thats what I was thinking got my 6382 booked for April, anyway back to the job in hand as stated above, tns supply,6 way Wylex cu with plug in mcbs, dodgy looking earth from met to cu solid green looks to be about 4m/m, can replace this, equipontial bonding to gas and water in 10m/m.

Options: lighting circuits are seperate, I don't suppose any one makes a plug in rcbo, could put in a stand alone rcd on the upstairs lighting circuit but would I possibly have any problems with borrowed neutral on landing two way switch.

Old decommisioned shower circuit 6m/m could be utilsed to feed bathroom lights, at present stand alone seperate breaker from wylex cu, could be replaced with stand alone rcd.

Put local fcu rcd in airing cupboard inside bathroom which also houses combi boiler which has no supplementary bonding.

Thanks again

As been said ALL circuits in bathroom need 30mA RCD protection, especially the shower.

You could use the existing 6mm for lighting and fuse it down in a sep CU along with the new circuit for the shower.

There will be no new shower circuit, new shower mixer running off combi boiler hot water feed, so 6m/m cable avaiable from cu to attic, I'll probably change stand alone breaker to an rcd cu unit with with 6 amp mcb for bathroom lights. Thanks again.

Reply to Bathroom Downlights 17th again? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net