Discuss bathroom lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyork

hi all,

my nic dom installer assesment is this friday, my major job is a consumer unit change, the job was done 2 days before the 17th came in legally. ive put the upstairs lighting on the rcd side to get round supp bonding in bathrooms etc. the contractor through building control has passes everything so got no worries on that side of it.

thing im conserned about is in both bathroom there is a triple spot halagen light fitting. at mains voltage.

in one bathroom the ceiling is 2180mm and the edge of the fitting is 300mm away from the edge of the shower cubicle.

in the other the ceiling is 2300mm and edge of fitting is 330mm away from shower cubicle.

any comments!!

rich

hmmmm....so you've done the board change to 16th or 17th edition?? will affect the need for supp. bonding and bathroom zones depending which regs you've used...

its a 16th board that ive fitted and it was fitted before the 1st july. when the electrical contractor came to inspect it for labc i said ive put the upstairs lighting on an rcd to eradicate the supp bonding, and they were fine with that. ts starting to confuse me somewhat.

so it's installed it to 16th. so you do need to ensure the supp. bonding's in place i'm afraid. :( can only be omitted under the 17th edition and if the 3 conditions are met. RCD etc.

as for the bathroom lighting....one's in zone 2 and one's in zone 3. Just need to ensure that the light in zone 2's IPx4. :) you're only just outside zone 3 tho, be harsh to pull you up about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers grea, the firm that came to do the pir on the job in july didnt mention anything about the supp, bonding? its not like its a dual rcd board either? or is it because they came to do a pir after the 17th came in that its ok in there eyes?

hi sorry to be a pain, ive just got the certificates back out that i filled out for the job, the date is the 7th july!! got that much stuff going on in me head! and the elecy company came out on the 8th july to do a pir on the job.

so the consumer unit was fitted on the 6th july abd the full test was completed on the 7th july.

Last edited:
the firm that came to do the pir on the job in july didnt mention anything about the supp, bonding? its not like its a dual rcd board either? or is it because they came to do a pir after the 17th came in that its ok in there eyes?

maybe they just didn't check :confused:

what was the PIR for? bit confused. surely if board was changed then EIC is in order.

if the PIR was done after advent of the 17th then there should be Code 4's: "no RCD for cables <50mm from surface", "no supp. bonding", etc

cos im not registered yet the council sent this electrical firm round after i did the consumer unit change, i was present when they came to do it and got the impression they seemed quite thorough. i asked why he's not just testing it to make sure its ok, he said no we always do a pir for building control??

anyway i changed board on 6/7/08 tested on 7/7/08, they came and tested it on the 8th. like you say there should of been mention of cables less than 50mm etc?

ive got a lot to do to make sure everything is ok for friday, heres what im thinking;

there are only 2 circuits on the board that dont have rcd protection, downstairs lighting and door bell. if i change these to rcbo's then everything is honkydory?
board was changed in the 17th edition so...also should mean me lights are ok in the bathrooms?

cheers

If I remember rightly the 17th edition would not apply, in this case, if the installation was designed before the 1st July. Realistically installation should be to one standard or the other and testing carried out to the standard applied. Sorry if it causes you extra work.

hey tony, no it wasnt designed it was just a consumer change at me mums house. so surely if the job was started on the 6th july then i can say that its the 17th? like grae said as well the other company should of picked up on the two circuits not been rcd protected, but that can be remedied via rcbo's anyway.

ha he, must admit i was starting to think i was gonna have to do some supp bonding! so that means me 2 bathroom lights are ok as well (thatll please the old dear!)
the handy thing is as well, the leccy firm that did the pir cant certify it because there waiting on nic to send them some blank certs. phones nic up just incase this was a problem, they said no its ok the assesor will just use my certs. so all ive gotta do is a print out new circuit schedule and re do that. and obviously buy some rcbo's!

cheers

dont go to cef robbing b,,,,,,s,i asked them for a price on a square d rcbo for some alteration work on a job and they came back with £62.50 so phoned wilts and yes you guessed it £28.95 .speaks for itself dont it.

i asked why he's not just testing it to make sure its ok, he said no we always do a pir for building control??

don't know why they don't just fill out 3 part certificates and get the electrician who did install to sign their part(s) :(

anyway i changed board on 6/7/08 tested on 7/7/08, they came and tested it on the 8th. like you say there should of been mention of cables less than 50mm etc?

they were probably still working to 16th :rolleyes:

there are only 2 circuits on the board that dont have rcd protection, downstairs lighting and door bell. if i change these to rcbo's then everything is honkydory?
board was changed in the 17th edition so...also should mean me lights are ok in the bathrooms?

sounds like a plan. one of your lights will still be in zone 2 but as said, only just. chances of him asking you to measure the ceiling height for him?? slim to none. wouldn't worry about it, only a matter of 70mm

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers grae!, think what ill do is get an old tape measure and cut 80mm off the end and disguise it, ill keep it in me pocket and if he says out ill say ive got a tape measure here and promptly show him the real height of the cieling!! lol

Reply to bathroom lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock