Discuss Bathroom lights not up rated or rcd protected in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone just wondering what action everyone would take with this situation. I came to a house to look at a downlight that wasn't working above a bath it was not up rated and the circuit had no rcd protection being on an old wylex board with plug in mcb's. I told them that the fittings were not suitable for the location and that the circuit needed rcd protection also as I have to bring it upto current standards if I were to change the light fittings - 9 in total. I have recommended a new consumer unit and ip44 downlights and the couple seem happy enough to go ahead. Am I being over zealous though could I have just replaced the fittings like for like without the consumer unit change?

If customers' happy to go ahead, then crack on.

Personally I haven't changed or added lights to a board that didn't have RCD protection, so I don't really know what i'd do in same situation.
You would have the same problem if you were asked to change an old halogen floodlight with PIR to a new LED one, or changing switches for a modern style.

Where is the line drawn?
Changing downlights for downlights? Same cable... like for like replacement?
Changing single pendant to a number of downlights where there is additional cable being added between?

The situation is helped by the fact that they are happy enough to go ahead and want to be safe and live in a nice area so money isn't tight, I have previously spoken to the napit guy who told me like for like is ok without adding rcd protection but because the work is in a bathroom I personally would rather not do the job than leave them without rcd protection - I have to protect myself too

Reply to Bathroom lights not up rated or rcd protected in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock