Discuss Becoming an Electrician... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cheers for all the help lads.

Since posting on here, iv spoken to a few people at my current college as well as a person at the North West Training Council. Iv given a bunch of info and help, my current college mentor has told he'll keep an eye out for apprenticeships for me, but im also doing that myself as well as getting lots of help on different courses and future propects from the college careers advice officer.

Had a chat with a person at the north west training council about electrical apprenticeships and she said to keep an eye out as theres more going up on the website next year for my year.

Im trying my best to get an apprenticeship, iv got a CV and all my needed certificates for my GCSE's etc.

@michaelk I thought I had to go through websites advertising apprenticeships in order to get taken on? But now that you've mentioned it ill start making a list of companys that will hopefully take me on. My dad knows a few electricians with their own company or work for a company, so lets hope that will lead to somewhere.

Iv noticed a lot of companies are starting to advertise/are advertising as of next year (Jan/Feb etc) for apprenticeships in order to take on in september, so im keeping my eyes pealed for them. Also looking into companies like Electricity Northwest/National grid even though that isnt the sort of electrical trade I really want to go into, I dont think I would mind it.

Cheers for your helps guys, iv got my head around the different courses and stuff now and have got a half decent action plan in place to land me somewhere in the world of electricians!

Hope you all have a crackin christmas, best wishes and more thanks than you can imagine,

Matt

I understand where you're coming from hahaha! Iv read quite a bit about these short courses, before I even ventured onto this forum id came across them, they seemed pointless to me and after looking at multiple topics on here that only cemented my thoughts!

And I know what you mean, theres no point in having all the paper but no in hand experience.

Do any of you know whether I would be better going through this 2 year college course to then go onto an apprenticeship/work or try and get an apprenticeship straight away and get the necessary qualifications through the apprenticeship?
thats caus they are....

they should be banned from sale as being unfit for purpose...

Reply to Becoming an Electrician... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net