Discuss Becoming an Electrician... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Matt6930

How do all, im Matt and iv come here to ask a few questions and queries about becoming an electrician as I know you lot on here have a lot of experience between you and can probably answer my questions better than related google searches have. Iv had a look on this site and checked out a lot of posts related to my questions but haven't found anything that can really answer my questions as good as directly asking them self can, so I apologize if some of the things, if not all of the things come across to you as a bit dajarvou ish!

Id also like to apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section of the forum:tongue:

So, here it goes. Im 17 years old and currently in sixth form, studying subjects non related to electrics really. Media, ICT etc. Once I leave in summer next year im going to enrole at another local college (St Helens) for a Level 2 Electrical Installation course and then after completing the level 2 course go onto level 3 electrical installation.

The reason this has panned out like this is because the subjects I currently study, I do enjoy, but I dont wish to go into the line of work. I dont want to go to uni for 3 years to study it etc. Becoming an electrician is something thats appealed to me from a young age having been surrounded by family members in the business and a few electrical engineers. From a young age iv been given those little plastic electric sets where you slot in your bulb and resistors etc, eventually building up to things like my own bread board, soldering iron, multimeter etc.

So, am I taking the right rout to even get into the electrician business going onto this course?

After completing the course would I be right in thinking that my best option is to try and get an apprenticeship with a company and then go from there?

If not, what is the best way to go about it? What is the best rout/course of action for me?

I know ill probably get quite a few people commenting on here telling me that there's already enough people in the profession or discouraging me from trying to get into it, but that's always the way with many different professions, especially in these times of austerity.

I appreciate all the help and information you lot can give me!

Cheers, Matt :smile5:

Sounds like you are taking the correct route, though you do not mention the qualification name that you are intending to take only that they are electrical installation.

This site may help to provide some information on the routes to becoming a qualified electrician.

Generally
C&G 2365 levels 2 and 3, NVQ3, AM2 -> gold card
C&G 2394, 2395 -> improvements to competence (on paper).

The difficulty is getting an employer for the NVQ3, if you can find an apprenticeship (rare as hens teeth) then you would be well on the way.
Whilst you are less than 24 there is funding available for apprenticeship training which would make it easier for you and an employer so look into that as well.

The "practice" you have done so far is more electronic than electrical so be aware of the differences.

The company I work part time for have started taking on Electrical Apprentices in blocks, not sure when and I can't really give you any more info, if you would like me to get some info (I'm back at work next Wednesday) I can ask then, if you are interested please send me a PM at [email protected]

Cheers for the reply Richard

The website for the college doesnt actually say what sort of qualification is earned at the end of the course, so ill give the college a ring today to get some info on it. All that it says is (at the end of the level 3 course) "Students can move into employment as skilled electricians.".

I really am taking that with a pinch of salt as I know theres much more to it than just taking the simple course.

As for the NVQ3, is that in Installing Electrotechnical systems? Or something else, im a bit lost with the large amount of things I need to gain :')

But I understand that getting an employer or apprentice is very hard, im hoping in a few years time things might be a bit different but only time will tell. The council and colleges do a great job for helping with that sort of thing here in St Helens, but whether id still be eligible (id 20 after completing the level 3 course at college) for help getting employment/an apprenticeship is another thing as I know they tend to favour 16/18 year olds.

Im also aware that my "experience" as you put it is a world away from electrical, but I guess I was just trying to highlight or justify my career path and prove that it wasnt just a snap decision, its something that iv been brought up around and have an interest in:)

Pete, Ill fire off a quick email to you in a bit mate, cheers for the help!

Matt :)

I know ill probably get quite a few people commenting on here telling me that there's already enough people in the profession or discouraging me from trying to get into it, but that's always the way with many different professions, especially in these times of austerity.

I appreciate all the help and information you lot can give me!

Cheers, Matt :smile5:

No Matt, the people you're talking about, (and i'm one of them) are referring to those that want to take back door short course training, ''NOT'' those that are intending to follow the correct path in order to become fully qualified Electricians. Something i might add, that they will ''NEVER'' be!!

Don't forget that gaining experience goes hand in hand with any meaningful qualifications you endeavour to gain....

I understand where you're coming from hahaha! Iv read quite a bit about these short courses, before I even ventured onto this forum id came across them, they seemed pointless to me and after looking at multiple topics on here that only cemented my thoughts!

And I know what you mean, theres no point in having all the paper but no in hand experience.

Do any of you know whether I would be better going through this 2 year college course to then go onto an apprenticeship/work or try and get an apprenticeship straight away and get the necessary qualifications through the apprenticeship?

The course you are taking may be the C&G 2357 which includes the NVQ level 3 and AM2.
Taken from electricalqualifications website:

The C&G2357 Level 3 Diploma in Electrotechnology was introduced as a replacement qualification for the outgoing C&G2330 technical certificate and the C&G2356 NVQ Level 3 as part of the Government switch to the QCF suite of qualifications. It combined both qualifications into one.

There are also the EAL equivalents I believe but I know little about them.

THE NVQ level 3 is a series of competence based units that are assessed through your work (so you need to be employed) and cover a range of units such as safety, electrical installation, faults, inspection and testing.

Having a read through the very limited information on the course it does talk about electric technology and says that it covers many areas within it, so I think you may be right.

I get how it works now. So what does the NVQ level 3 allow me to do?

Iv noticed on the tradeskills4u website it says
the window of opportunity is coming to a close as the at the end of 2013.

Is that just because we're coming to the end of the year and then a new course would start in 2014 or is it not being done next year/another equivalent to the NVQ level 3 is coming in?

Im sorry for all these questions, im just trying to get clued up the best I can :)

Thanks again Richard, I appreciate it

Having a read through the very limited information on the course it does talk about electric technology and says that it covers many areas within it, so I think you may be right.

I get how it works now. So what does the NVQ level 3 allow me to do?
The qualifications you have to not "allow" you to do any particular thing, they merely indicate in a general way your level of training.
Having the C&G 2365 and the levels 2 and 3 2330, or having completed the 2357, or having completed the 2356 and done the NVQ3 and AM2 parts of 2357 means that you would qualify to obtain an electrotechnical certification scheme (ECS) gold card, this is the electricians CSCS card and a gold card effectively shows that you are a trained electrician. This is the hallowed goal for many electricians to "prove" competence.

In terms of doing work, if you are competent to do the work then you are legally able to do the work. However proving competence is hard without the pieces of paper that state you have passed exams.
To work on sites you need the ECS (CSCS) card and to work on site as an electrician you tend to need the ECS gold card.

Iv noticed on the tradeskills4u website it says

Is that just because we're coming to the end of the year and then a new course would start in 2014 or is it not being done next year/another equivalent to the NVQ level 3 is coming in?

Im sorry for all these questions, im just trying to get clued up the best I can :)

Thanks again Richard, I appreciate it
The tradeskills for you quote is referring to the C&G 2365 exam which is now closed to new entrants, except for a few places that have been reserved for any, as yet unidientified, student. These will no longer be available very shortly. Then everything will go through the 2356 and 2357 route instead.

The tradeskills for you quote is referring to the C&G 2365 exam which is now closed to new entrants, except for a few places that have been reserved for any, as yet unidientified, student. These will no longer be available very shortly. Then everything will go through the 2356 and 2357 route instead.

Other way round. 2356 closed/ closing, 2365 new one replacing 2330.

Hi
i am doing my 2365 level 2 electrical installation at the moment, at the end I'll have a C&G level 2 diploma and then I'll do level 3 but still wont be an electrician...that's life
after much badgering to my lecturer I've been told that either after level 3 or if I can now which I'd love I'd need to do my NVQ level 3 to become an electrician because no matter how much work I do in the workshop it's not permanent so I need to be onsite working and getting training from sparkys
im 33 so will have to find my apprenticeship I just can't find a company that will help me in Leeds
keep doing your course, you will learn so much, I know I have so far but try and find a company so you can do something like 3 weeks work and 1 week college, at least at the end you will be fully qualified, something to do with being part p, part p registered, don't know what that really is
good luck

In my opinion the best way you are going to learn is through an apprenticeship. Get a cv together and start contacting companies. Go about that now and hopefully you should have something lined up for finishing school and the start of the college term for after the summer

Cheers pal, I'd foot the £2500 per year I think it is but as of yet I can't find a company who will put time in me, I totally understand why they want a 16-18yr old and not a 33 yr!

Assuming I had sufficient work, I'd happily take on a 'mature' apprentice. A local firm gave me an opportunity in my early 30's. Will always be grateful for that.

When I passed the exam I had the choice of plumbing too but thought nah since I didn't want to deal with busy pipes and crap etc, was told sparkying can become of the cleanest jobs, did I seriously make the wrong choice???

I just hope I can find someone like you who will give me the opportunity to show what I can do, but like I said I totally understand why they would want someone younger!!! Maybe I'll ask Santa to help, I think I've been good :)

Reply to Becoming an Electrician... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net