Discuss Questions about becoming a electrician in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum so i don't know if this is the right place to ask or not but I want to know a few things...

- How math intensive being a electrician can be.

I also want to know if going to college or apprenticeship is the right way to become quailfied?

Since I just started college a month ago and doing functional skills l1 maths there due to failing gcse maths twice -I got rejected from the electrical course twice (last year and this year) and so choosen another course instead - is there any advise i can use in this situation? - I am 17 so I don't really have a idea about careers or work experience.

Thanks.

Can you complete arithmetic like Addition, Multiplication, division and subtraction? Did you do any kind of scientific subjects at school like physics?

Research Ohms Law and see if you can get your head around working things out in terms of Electrical Current, resistance and voltage as that formula is the very basic part of electrical theory- look on YouTube and read some books on the subject from a library or wikipedia.

Although actually completing electrical work in practical terms rarely uses Maths you do need it to a small degree to gain qualifications and this maybe why you haven't been offered a place yet, try not to get disheartened .

My advice would be to try to persevere with the maths and don't give up if you want to become an electrician as it is a good trade. An electrical apprenticeship with an electrician and company completing college work maybe one day a week with vocational work although initially low paid is an ideal way to start to learn the trade and eventually become a time served electrician.

Thanks for the reply - I got a 4-3 for gcse combined science and grade 1 in maths so I am currently trying to practice/study maths 30 mins a day.

I also have a few more questions - How hard is it to become a electrician in South England and is the entry salary liveable after you become qualified?

I also want to know if going to college or apprenticeship is the right way to become quailfied?

If you did the college route or apprienticeship route - how did it go and what were the costs to do the programme?

Thanks

Apprenticeship would get you qualifications and experience. At 17 years of age it's the route I'd be inclined to advise.

College would present the opportuinty to gain qualifications more quickly, but you need site experience (and lots of evidence of it) to complete an NVQ and go forward to complete the AM2. If you can get work in the industry, there's no reason why the college route should present any problems, but I can't place enough emphasis on the benefits of working in the industry while gaining qualifications.

Apprenticeship would get you qualifications and experience. At 17 years of age it's the route I'd be inclined to advise.

College would present the opportuinty to gain qualifications more quickly, but you need site experience (and lots of evidence of it) to complete an NVQ and go forward to complete the AM2. If you can get work in the industry, there's no reason why the college route should present any problems, but I can't place enough emphasis on the benefits of working in the industry while gaining qualifications.

This is the college I am currently attending and the electrical course they have. Since I didn't pass maths - I am doing a different course but hoping to get into L1 course by next year - Will passing this course help me get started?

Hi, I am new to this forum so i don't know if this is the right place to ask or not but I want to know a few things...

- How math intensive being a electrician can be.

Since I just started college a month ago and doing functional skills l1 maths there due to failing gcse maths twice -I got rejected from the electrical course twice (last year and this year) and so choosen another course instead - is there any advise i can use in this situation? - I am 17 so I don't really have a idea about careers or work experience.

Thanks.
both

Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place. We have some super knowledgeable members here. Even just by browsing the forum and reading threads you'll pick up knowledge that'll help you apply for a course. When you do get on a course, we have a trainee section too.

Reply to Questions about becoming a electrician in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net