Discuss Best clamp meter to get started? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

As title, budget of 100 arm.

I've paid an arm and a leg for things before but never 100 arms !!

At the budget end you can get some very cheap meters, but you'll have to figure out if earth leakage measurements are something you want/need or something you could save up for to get a better brand.

Beware of rebadged ones too that could cost more than needed, like this Dilog.

Compared to this similar looking one

The above meter comes under a few brands. I have a red one (TEK775) but it's not anything special and I don't trust it 100%.

If you don't want earth leakage facility maybe consider a fluke T-5 voltage indicator with open jaw current readings, a good all round day to day meter.

Last edited:

At the budget end you can get some very cheap meters, but you'll have to figure out if earth leakage measurements are something you want/need or something you could save up for to get a better brand.

The above meter comes under a few brands. I have a red one (TEK775) but it's not anything special and I don't trust it 100%.

If you don't want earth leakage facility maybe consider a fluke T-5 voltage indicator with open jaw current readings, a good all round day to day meter.

I fogure if I have the ability to do earth leakage from the get-go then if I need it, it's there. If it means raising the budget then so be it - budget aside then what's a good earth leakage clamp meter

I fogure if I have the ability to do earth leakage from the get-go then if I need it, it's there. If it means raising the budget then so be it - budget aside then what's a good earth leakage clamp meter
I only have the TEK775 and wouldn't say it's great so wouldn't know really. Heard good things about the Megger one though, and would be worth looking at Fluke.

cheap and cheerfull and works for earth leakage
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/lap-digital-clamp-meter-600a/8906f
If you zoom in it has an auto detect down to 2 amps with 3 digits after the zero so milliamps...
just trying to save you some money... I know it works as i have one.

If it works I'll take it but i think the spec only gave range to 2A?

200mV/2V/20V/200V (±1.0%),
600V (±0.7%).
AC voltage: 2V/20V/200V (±1.2%),
600V (±0.8%).
AC current: 2A/20A (±3.0%), 200A (±2.5%), 600A (±1.5%).

Resistance: 200Ω/2kΩ/20kΩ/200kΩ/2MΩ (±1.2%), 20MΩ (±2.0%). Requires 3 x AAA batteries

I was a little puzzled by the Screwfix Lap Clamp meter discussion, as measuring leakage is not mentioned in the spec on the website.

In the Q&A, though, I found the following:

Question: Can this clamp meter detect current leakage?

Answer 1: set to 2 Amp range this meter measures milliamps . the display will show 1 milliamp as 0.001 which is correct. so it does measure 1 milliamp 2mA 3m and upwards . this works for earth leakage in domestic properties. there will obviously be a tiny tolerance/accuracy but it worked for me.

Answer 2: Hello, This device does not detect current leakage.
Thank you for using Screwfix Q&A.

I gather from this and the reviews that this meter is sensitive enough to pick up leakage currents in a single wire, but that it is not designed to detect them directly by clamping on both live and neutral cables together in the way that purpose-built leakage meters do.

Generally the reviews of the Screwfix Lap Clamp Meter are very good, though, saying that it is of solid construction and comparable in quality to much more expensive devices.

this is about the cheapest you can get that gives sensible earth leakage resolution. have a ward with test-meter. they are forum sponsors and usually very helpful.

I was a little puzzled by the Screwfix Lap Clamp meter discussion, as measuring leakage is not mentioned in the spec on the website.

In the Q&A, though, I found the following:

Question: Can this clamp meter detect current leakage?

Answer 1: set to 2 Amp range this meter measures milliamps . the display will show 1 milliamp as 0.001 which is correct. so it does measure 1 milliamp 2mA 3m and upwards . this works for earth leakage in domestic properties. there will obviously be a tiny tolerance/accuracy but it worked for me.

Answer 2: Hello, This device does not detect current leakage.
Thank you for using Screwfix Q&A.

I gather from this and the reviews that this meter is sensitive enough to pick up leakage currents in a single wire, but that it is not designed to detect them directly by clamping on both live and neutral cables together in the way that purpose-built leakage meters do.

Generally the reviews of the Screwfix Lap Clamp Meter are very good, though, saying that it is of solid construction and comparable in quality to much more expensive devices.

Just because it can display a certain number of decimal places does not mean it is accurate to that level. Reading the tech specifications would be essential.

True this

Digital display just means you have a number to record, it can still be garbage

Something that sticks in my mind from many years ago, maybe a school science thing I'm not sure, is someone showing two digital clocks. One just had minutes and seconds, the other had extra digits showing tenths and hundredths of a second.

So, the question asked was 'which of these 2 clocks is the most accurate?' - guess what most people said ....

According to the spec., it's not suitable for use in the UK. Min frequency 60Hz.
That is well-spotted.?
After a good deal of research I bought the one recommended by Andy78 in the first answer, which is available at his link from CPC Farnell for just over £40 inc VAT and delivery at the moment. It was by far the most economical earth leakage tester, and was much more expensive elsewhere.

I have the fluke but find it awkward for current reading

That is well-spotted.?
After a good deal of research I bought the one recommended by Andy78 in the first answer, which is available at his link from CPC Farnell for just over £40 inc VAT and delivery at the moment. It was by far the most economical earth leakage tester, and was much more expensive elsewhere.

How accurate will the low mA readings be I wonder ?

I had read reviews of other cheap clamps and they didn't seem to be reliable at that type of testing even though advertised as such

Reply to Best clamp meter to get started? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net