Discuss best fan for kitchen in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExArmy

Electrician's Arms
What do you think the best type of extractor fan is best for a kitchen? timer off the lights, humidistat, humidistat and timer?

I can only fit a 4" one, i know 6" is better and i would but it has to fit into an existing duct. a 4" fan will satisfy building regs so thats all that matters anyway.

Resu

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
We recently fitted a normal fan in a new build kitchen controlled by a lightswitch only (customers request). Just another option for ya!

Murdoch

Regular EF Member
Icon 30!

Richard Burns

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
I'd go with the manually operated fan, is it for a hob or the kitchen generally?
I can't get a 60l/s 4" centrifugal fan.

Strima

Electrician's Arms
TBH I'd say just run it off it's own switch if it's for domestic use. When the steaks and toast are burning a humidistat will not pick it up and if the kettle is boiling the fan may come on when not needed. If you can get one with variable speed it may suit better.

What sort of kitchen is it? Domestic or commercial and what does the customer want?

Last edited:
OP
E

ExArmy

Electrician's Arms
I'd go with the manually operated fan, is it for a hob or the kitchen generally?
I can't get a 60l/s 4" centrifugal fan.
regs say 30 don't they? infact no i've just checked you'r right. well looks like i'm gonna have to run some ducting accross the top of the units and connect up to the extractor hood, if the fan is above the hob it can be 30L/S

M

MarkieSparkie

regs say 30 don't they? infact no i've just checked you'r right. well looks like i'm gonna have to run some ducting accross the top of the units and connect up to the extractor hood, if the fan is above the hob it can be 30L/S
The extractor fan should be mounted as high on the wall as practical and preferably less than 400mm below the ceiling.
Intermittent Extraction:- 30 litres/second adjacent to hob. 60 litres/second elsewhere in kitchen.
Continuous Extraction:- 13 litres/second.
Building Regulations Approved Document F:2010 Tables 5.1a & 5.2a

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • Black

Votes: 24 34.3%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.