Discuss Best Hex crimper for domestic installations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm looking for a Hex crimper only to be used for domestic installations, so in theory the max I would need to crimp is 16mm.
Most crimpers only go up to 6mm, then a second set for bigger crimps. Can you get a single set that will allow me to crimp fine wires and upto 16mm?
similarily, what brands do you recommend?

What exactly do you want it to crimp?
When you say fine wire do you mean for crimping ferrules onto flex? If so a low cost pliers type ferrule crimper will be fine

Yes, for crimping ferrules onto flex, but also for 16mm Earth when it does not fit into CU or switched fuse earth block and you have to attach to earth terminal.

Yes, for crimping ferrules onto flex, but also for 16mm Earth when it does not fit into CU or switched fuse earth block and you have to attach to earth terminal.

Then you need ferrule crimpers for the ferrules.

I don't understand what you mean by the second part though? 16mm fits in all new CUs and switch fuses that it will need to fit into.
Do you mean pin lugs?

He may be crimping an eyelet on the earthing, 10mm and 16mm. It looks better and last longer. Need another set of crimps for that, as above use ferrule crimpers for ferrules.

you can get ferrule crimpers that go from 0.25 to 16mm i know ive got a set.

ck make a set for lugs that are quite compact and go upto 25mm and 350mm long

Last edited:
He may be crimping an eyelet on the earthing, 10mm and 16mm. It looks better and last longer. Need another set of crimps for that, as above use ferrule crimpers for ferrules.

Yes, crimping eyelet on earth. I was fitting several Wylex 110M and 16mm Earth does not fit in earth block.

Is is it just CK that make them for this range or anyone else?

Yes, crimping eyelet on earth. I was fitting several Wylex 110M and 16mm Earth does not fit in earth block.

Is is it just CK that make them for this range or anyone else?

Yep it does fit mate, but only just. Maybe sure the cut end of the 16mm has all the conductors nice and straight though. Pees me off that the terminals on the EB for these is not a bit bigger. I mean, how much would it cost? Less than a quid I reckon.

You've got me doubting myself now, I've got a spare in the shed, I'm gonna check again and report back, but won't be until next weekend as I'm on holiday at the moment.

So what crimpers do you guys use, one for all or one bi and one small?

You've got me doubting myself now, I've got a spare in the shed, I'm gonna check again and report back, but won't be until next weekend as I'm on holiday at the moment.

got one for insulated.

red
blue
yellow

i borrow one 350mm one for upto 25mm and firm has another for upto 95mm but crimping 75mm is difficult with it so when i need one ill get a hydralic one

16mm does fit in to those earth blocks. 25mm doesn't however.

Yes crimping lugs onto any size cable is a normal part of the job for bolted terminals

Must be some holiday:sorcerer:

I think I may have confused a few with this thread.
I was reading another thread on this forum where someone said the best crimpers are hex.
I did not doubt this, but upon checking hex crimpers are for coax, is this right?

So anyway, I found these bad boys, any thoughts?

KNIPEX - The Pliers Company. - Products

Best Hex crimper for domestic installations {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Seem to do everything I need.

I was reading another thread on this forum where someone said the best crimpers are hex.
I did not doubt this, but upon checking hex crimpers are for coax, is this right?

there ferrule crimpers and i have the uninsulated version of that pair and there really good for the price (think i paid £25-30 for mine)

they wont do insulated crimps btw and there for fine stranded not 6491b or 10/16mm earth cable (by fine rated i mean tri-rated/flex etc)

Last edited:

You need different crimpers for different types of crimp.

You can't crimp 10/16mm lugs with ferrule crimpers!

You need different crimpers for different types of crimp.

You can't crimp 10/16mm lugs with ferrule crimpers!

this is the type you should get

www.amazon.co.uk/C-K-T3676-Ferrules-Ratchet-Crimping/dp/B005XB6RT4

not cheap at £50

or go for a cheap hydralic set for £50 that will do upto 150mm+

I have lost a set of those ones with the red handles, they are perfectly good and all you'll ever need for domestic work. They were less than £50 though

I've got a set of 6 to 50mm hex crimpers which were £50

Reply to Best Hex crimper for domestic installations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock