Discuss Best way to wire new kitchen in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ericdan

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I am having my kitchen remodeled. I got a new panel put in this summer giving me the option to run more lines to the kitchen.

right now the whole kitchen is running off of two double pole 20 amp breakers. We have tripped the breaker twice when using both the microwave and an air fryer at the same time.

And what appliances should go together on the two double pole circuits and what should go on the 2 new 20 amp circuits?

TL;DR
Rewire kitchen with two new lines
Hi,

I am having my kitchen remodeled. I got a new panel put in this summer giving me the option to run more lines to the kitchen.

right now the whole kitchen is running off of two double pole 20 amp breakers. We have tripped the breaker twice when using both the microwave and an air fryer at the same time.

And what appliances should go together on the two double pole circuits and what should go on the 2 new 20 amp circuits?
My friend the microwave is supposed to have it’s own dedicated circuit and not sure about the fryer but since you are remodeling install a circuit for the fryer. Good luck

Thank you for the reply. So I will just list the lines and see if this is the best way possible

1. First Double pole - Refrigerator, Gas Range Oven
  2. Second Double pole - Dish Washer, Garbage Disposal
  3. 1st Single circuit - Microwave
  4. 2nd Single circuit - Outlets in the kitchen (Air fryer not plugged in all the time)
Is there any problem with putting the recessed lighting in the double pole circuit for the fridge and the Gas Range oven? I know that the fridge uses a good bit of electricity during the initial startup. We are installing six recessed lights, under cabinet lights, as well as our side porch outside light. I believe lights pull very little electricity, but I don't know if having it on a double pole would be to much for lights.

If you do see a problem with how I organized the appliances in the different circuits I am all ears to ideas.

Thank you for the reply. So I will just list the lines and see if this is the best way possible

1. First Double pole - Refrigerator, Gas Range Oven
  2. Second Double pole - Dish Washer, Garbage Disposal
  3. 1st Single circuit - Microwave
  4. 2nd Single circuit - Outlets in the kitchen (Air fryer not plugged in all the time)
Is there any problem with putting the recessed lighting in the double pole circuit for the fridge and the Gas Range oven? I know that the fridge uses a good bit of electricity during the initial startup. We are installing six recessed lights, under cabinet lights, as well as our side porch outside light. I believe lights pull very little electricity, but I don't know if having it on a double pole would be to much for lights.

If you do see a problem with how I organized the appliances in the different circuits I am all ears to ideas.
First off the refrigerator needs to have its own dedicated circuit. As far as lights and the gas stove you are not allowed to double tap breakers. When you say double pole breakers I’m assuming that they are slim line breakers. A picture of your panel showing your breakers would be nice and the other circuits you mentioned are correct. Yes you need to install a 15 amp breaker for your lights plus one 15 amp breaker for your gas stove

BreakerPNG.PNG
This is what I mean when I am saying a double pole (sorry if that isn't right). But I believe that it is two separate circuits, but if one circuit trips then the whole thing does. It is wired differently than my Central air where they are trying to pull 240 from, and I believe that this is mostly used for Central Air, and using an Electric Dryer. I don't know if this is up to code for a kitchen anymore, and I read if you are remodeling a kitchen they might not grandfather your electrical depending on what your Local Electrical Codes say.

I have also read that the Refrigerator should be on its on circuit. But does the double pole make it a separate circuit, or does this count as one circuit since if anything trips it the whole thing trips the breaker. Also, can I just replace the breaker to become two single circuits if it is easier?

I can definitely give you a picture of the panel when I get home today to provide some more information.

View attachment 63939
This is what I mean when I am saying a double pole (sorry if that isn't right). But I believe that it is two separate circuits, but if one circuit trips then the whole thing does. It is wired differently than my Central air where they are trying to pull 240 from, and I believe that this is mostly used for Central Air, and using an Electric Dryer. I don't know if this is up to code for a kitchen anymore, and I read if you are remodeling a kitchen they might not grandfather your electrical depending on what your Local Electrical Codes say.

I have also read that the Refrigerator should be on its on circuit. But does the double pole make it a separate circuit, or does this count as one circuit since if anything trips it the whole thing trips the breaker. Also, can I just replace the breaker to become two single circuits if it is easier?

I can definitely give you a picture of the panel when I get home today to provide some more information.
That my friend is a 240vac breaker which is used ONLY as breaker for your dryer, hot water heater, HVAC systems etc. that type breaker is not designed to operate 120vac loads and every thing in your kitchen is 120vac appliances and using that type of breakers for single pole breakers is not only a code violation but if you would have a short circuit it probably wouldn’t trip immediately and could cause a fire. Please hire an electrician, not to insult your intelligence but it seems like you don’t know enough to do this yourself and I can’t advise you any further. Good luck with your project.

Don't worry you are not insulting my intelligence. I understand that I am not fully trained in the Electrical field, and the reason that I have come here to ask questions to try and do this myself is that I have had 5 companies provide quotes on the project and not one of them said anything about rewiring the kitchen as well as adding circuits. All of them stated that I would be able to be grandfather in to bypass code (which is not what I want) I want to have enough power going to the kitchen safely. All companies provided $300 - $500 dollars in the quote for electrical work. There is no way an electrician would run 2 circuits through a finished ceiling, run new outlets, run new light switches as well as installing 6 recessed lights.

In your last answer you did provide me some beneficial knowledge. I didn't think that it was right to have the 2 240vac breakers provide electricity to my kitchen. That's why I was wondering if it should be replaced, or if you could use it. I have come across many houses in my area that is wired like this, and I don't know if that is what was used in the70's - 80's when most of the houses were built.

Thank you for your responses.

Don't worry you are not insulting my intelligence. I understand that I am not fully trained in the Electrical field, and the reason that I have come here to ask questions to try and do this myself is that I have had 5 companies provide quotes on the project and not one of them said anything about rewiring the kitchen as well as adding circuits. All of them stated that I would be able to be grandfather in to bypass code (which is not what I want) I want to have enough power going to the kitchen safely. All companies provided $300 - $500 dollars in the quote for electrical work. There is no way an electrician would run 2 circuits through a finished ceiling, run new outlets, run new light switches as well as installing 6 recessed lights.

In your last answer you did provide me some beneficial knowledge. I didn't think that it was right to have the 2 240vac breakers provide electricity to my kitchen. That's why I was wondering if it should be replaced, or if you could use it. I have come across many houses in my area that is wired like this, and I don't know if that is what was used in the70's - 80's when most of the houses were built.

Thank you for your responses.
Eric I wish you all the best and sorry I couldn’t be of more help

Reply to Best way to wire new kitchen in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net