Discuss Bit of a cheeky 17th edition question...... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Shakey

Ok, try this

A submain supplying a distribution board is protected by a 30A BS3036 fuse, what is the maximum permissible design value Zs

A) 1.59ohms
B) 2.64ohms
c) 1.09ohms
d) 2.80ohms

Answers please, with your reasons why;):rolleyes::D

Morning Shakey

Hmmm I haven't got my copy of 17th with me (& havent had a good read) so this is off the top of my head.

I'd go 2.8 ohms as it's a distribution circuit so 5sec disscon time? (assuming cables are installed correctly to not require an rcd)

Go on tell me I'm wrong, should have left the good book in the van.

Morning Shakey

Hmmm I haven't got my copy of 17th with me (& havent had a good read) so this is off the top of my head.

I'd go 2.8 ohms as it's a distribution circuit so 5sec disscon time? (assuming cables are installed correctly to not require an rcd)

Go on tell me I'm wrong, should have left the good book in the van.

haven't got a copy of 17th yet but i thought all disconection times had been reduced to 0.4 seconds?:confused:

Well done EasyFox answer is actually 2.64 ohms but not far off

initially threw me this one

Table 41.1 gives disconnection times for 230V TN systems as 0.4S and 411.3.2.2 says table 41.1 should be used for final circuits not exceeding 32A

Table 41.2 is for 0.4S disconnection times (30A is 1.09 which is one of the answers)

Table 41.4 is for 5S disconnection times (30A is 2.64)

Great, thinks me, table 41.2 is 0.4 S, its a 30A fuse so 1.09 is the answer.......

until i read 411.3.2.3 " in a TN system, a disconnection time not exceeding 5 s is permitted for a distribution circuit a circuit not covered by reg 411.3.2.2"

and of course under the definition for a distibution circuit, it says "it is sometimes called a submain"

so it comes under the 5 s table even though it is less than 32A

cheeky bast*$%s!!!!!!:p:p:p

and 411.3.2.4 allows you to go to 1 s for a TT distribution circuit, instead of the 0.2 s in table 41.1;)

sat mine today

just happened to get ooh, give or take, 100 percent

thats 30 out of 30 then

Get in!!!:D

good luck with yours!!!

Nice one shakey, was you back home in time for tea and medals or did you use the full hour?

I passed my 16th in May 2006. Do I need to the 17th Edition now?

you need to do the 17th edition

when you do it is entirely up to you Darius

altough if you are going to start working to the 17th, as you can now, and wull have to after Jul, then naturally, you will need to know the book;)

Well, what a farce..........

Turned up in plenty of time, me and 11 others all sat ready to start online test.

Input username.............

input password..............

exam details.................

WRONG EXAM!

Someone had only gone an ordered the 2382-100 instead of 2382-20

Up we get and leave........

oh well, got to my private job a bit earlier :)

Reply to Bit of a cheeky 17th edition question...... in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock