Discuss Blowing sockets and popping RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
A client asked me to add two sockets in their bedroom

I took power from two sockets in the lounge which is behind the bedroom wall.

I ran a cable out of each socket for the new socket

The problem is it now is tripping the RCD and blowing the old Existing sockets and light switches

But the new sockets I added still work fine

The old existing sockets and switche are blown and unusable

When I try to reset the RCD It pops and Sparks down

Any idea to why this is happending

if the old sockets were on a ring, and one leg has popped out... the new sockets, being connected will still work, but theres maybe another floating live touching the metal back box.

can you take photos of the back of the sockets? there might be something obvious to us that you havent seen

if the old sockets were on a ring, and one leg has popped out... the new sockets, being connected will still work, but theres maybe another floating live touching the metal back box.

can you take photos of the back of the sockets? there might be something obvious to us that you havent seen
The thing is the client phone back saying there’s no power and the RCD is popping down and sparking so I went back same night, and opened up the sockets I touched the connections were fine the socket sparked and popped while the socket was open so no loose lives

Attachments

• Blowing sockets and popping RCD 54001265-E860-4A32-9457-62D59B700C4E - EletriciansForums.net
    54001265-E860-4A32-9457-62D59B700C4E.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 44
no the actual sockets sparked and blew in front of me
The mcb never tripped once only the RCD

On the assumption you're trained and experienced, what does that tell you ?

so I went back same night, and opened up the sockets I touched, the connections were fine, the socket sparked and popped while the socket was open so no loose lives

Did you leave the socket sparking and popping when you left or have you isolated it / them?

Well with all due respect you'll be hard pushed to get much help with that admittance, not good.

Going back to your original question, "any idea as to why this is happening " I'd suggest it is because you are vastly underqualified/experienced to be carrying out this work. The fact you called the customer a client suggests you are being employed to carry out this work which you probably shouldn't be doing and are probably at risk of endangering property and life.

Did you leave the socket sparking and popping when you left or have you isolated it / them?
Yes they were isolated the socket was removed completely and connections put into a choc box

Did you leave the socket sparking and popping when you left or have you isolated it / them
don't have much experience with fault-finding so that's why I'm asking that question. I've been doing electrics for 2 and a half years

Reply to Blowing sockets and popping RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock