Discuss Boiler not firing up in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DIYfan

-
Reaction score
Hi, I've got a problem with my boiler I was hoping someone might know what it could be (apologies for me explaining in very simple terms), we've been away for 10 days and have just returned and when I switched it on it's not firing up and there's no flame visible through the hole. It's a Glow worm 40ff, 18 yr old conventional boiler. It had the pcb replaced about 6 months ago and the engineer said it should have a few more years left.

When I tried to boot it up for hot water or heating it won't automatically click and kick in and light the flame, it makes one loud click which it always used to do then it used to do another click or double click and boot up igniting the flame but isn't doing that now. It sounds like it's trying and the fan is running.

I've switched it off and on at the wall a few times and turned the knob on the boiler itself off and on, high and low but no joy.
I'm going to call my regular boiler engineer out tomorrow unless there's anything that can be suggested here, thanks.

Obvious thing may be lack of gas , did you leave it on when you went away? Is it prepayment?
Thanks for the reply, gas supply hasn't been cut off, it's on DD and the cooker's working. I left it turned off but not off at the wall

All I can suggest is to let it strike a few times to see if the pilot light lights up . If not it is time for professional help

Good.
It may take a few attempts , I suspect you have already tried though.

Would usually light but not maintain the flame . The thermocouple needs heat to sustain the flame and keep gas valve open.

Sometimes when the system has not been used for a while valves stick closed this happens a lot with heating valves after the summer when the heating has not been used however you can hear it clicking to light up it could be something similar inside the boiler time to call a boiler engineer

Sometimes when the system has not been used for a while valves stick closed this happens a lot with heating valves after the summer when the heating has not been used however you can hear it clicking to light up it could be something similar inside the boiler time to call a boiler engineer

That makes sense, thanks

Does it not light then the boiler shuts off if that happens?

if the pump isnt running its a calling issue eg not calling for heat so prog or room stat if no hot water as well prog

but if the pump is running either overheat or internal boiler fault (somthings holding it off eg no pilot light on the older ones)

under the front cover any lights on op?

if the pump isnt running its a calling issue eg not calling for heat so prog or room stat if no hot water as well prog

but if the pump is running either overheat or internal boiler fault (somthings holding it off eg no pilot light on the older ones)

under the front cover any lights on op?

The boiler itself doesn't have any lights to light up, it's controlled by a drayton lifestyle lp522 programmer which is all lit up as normal

Reply to Boiler not firing up in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock