Discuss Bonding conductors and their sheaths in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a gas pipe to bond. The client isn't keen to have the cable run internally, so I plan to run it around the outside of the building. In conduit is one option, but will look at bit ugly IMO, so am considering clipping the 10mm direct. Anyway, it's thrown up a couple of basic questions that I'm not 100% sure of the answers to, and I'd appreciate your help with.

1 - Does a bonding conductor need to be sheathed green/yellow right along it's length? I believe not, and can't find an reg to suggest it does.
2 - Does a bonding conductor need a sheath at all? Again, I believe not, but maybe you know better.

I'd like to run a 10mm black single on the exterior and just sleeve green/yellow internally where it connects to the clamp and into the MET. Can anyone see any problem with this?

Personally I don't think it is necessary for it to be green/yellow throughout its entire length and have installed black 10mm before as a bond when clipped externally for aesthetic reasons.

When you say sheath do you mean insulation? A bonding conductor doesn't normally have a sheath so I assume you do.

Yes you can use a bare conductor, but may need to go up in size as there is a minimum for conductors without corrosion protection.

As long as the conductor is identified at each end I don't see a problem with it.

Personally I don't think it is necessary for it to be green/yellow throughout its entire length and have installed black 10mm before as a bond when clipped externally for aesthetic reasons.

When you say sheath do you mean insulation? A bonding conductor doesn't normally have a sheath so I assume you do.

Yes you can use a bare conductor, but may need to go up in size as there is a minimum for conductors without corrosion protection.
Thanks @davesparks , yes insulation is what I meant. I found table 54.1 which shows increased CSA for buried earthing conductors not protected against corrosion, but didn't find anything similar for bonding conductors installed above ground. I can't think of a reason why I'd want to install a bonding conductor without insulation,but it's nice to know as you do see them occasionally.

Thanks @davesparks , yes insulation is what I meant. I found table 54.1 which shows increased CSA for buried earthing conductors not protected against corrosion, but didn't find anything similar for bonding conductors installed above ground. I can't think of a reason why I'd want to install a bonding conductor without insulation,but it's nice to know as you do see them occasionally.
In all honesty PM I would rather run some Black HD PVC tube outside than try to make clipping a single conductor look good, at least tube would be straight an level. Just my take that's all.

As long as the conductor is identified at each end I don't see a problem with it.
Thanks @Strima , appreciate the advice
[automerge]1596481729[/automerge]
In all honesty PM I would rather run some Black HD PVC tube outside than try to make clipping a single conductor look good, at least tube would be straight an level. Just my take that's all.
Where the cable would exit the building is at the front, next to the front door and just below a course of ornate brickwork that stands proud of the wall (1930s house). I figured a black 10mm single clipped up tight to the underside of the ornate bricks would have much less of a visual impact than conduit.

Last edited:
because there is no requirement to contain it in conduit etc, you could run it down any type of straight pipe to match the brickwork.
the cover is purely for looks, not protection.
just trying to help you think "out of the box"

Reply to Bonding conductors and their sheaths in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock