Discuss Bonding on Water and Gas in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapester

Regular EF Member
A job requires some work and when checking the bonding there was non to water or even gas, the gas meter is accessible but the water is at the rear of the property and so is boiler. The property is terraced so cannot go down the side of the house and the getting under the floor is a no go!
What is your opinion on this? Bond the gas and then note water is not accessible but bond across gas and water at boiler?

Cheers

AndyL

Electrician's Arms
Sounds tricky to get to but afraid you will have to, as above up and over or surface run.

You cannot use the gas pipe as a bonding conductor which is what you would effectivly be doing in your OP

OP
S

Snapester

Regular EF Member
Well the gas will be bonded at the meter but I'm talking about getting one onto the water? As I cannot get into the attic as the board is at the front door!! Grrr I can't see a solution?

P

Plonker 3

Surface trunking then, sounds like the only option. Hers is a ESC leaflet you can give to the customer to explain why it needs doing then let them decide how they want you to do it.

Attachments

spark 68

Electrician's Arms
There are many ways to achieve this, as the two posters above have suggested two ways.

Some ways unfortunately look a 'bit rough', but you can only do what the client will allow you to do.

In one case, mid terraced house, laminate floors up and down (stone floor downstairs too), so cannot go outside and around, you could either go outside up and over through the loft,and then back outside and down and back in, or (my customer did not want this either), I had to run surface and through internal walls.
This looked awful, but it was the only option left.

OP
S

Snapester

Regular EF Member
Returning to the property today, i took a continuity reading at water which measured 1.0 ohm and no visual sign of bonding on the water. The options of going outside is a no go, downstairs is looking impossible due to laminate flooring etc. I will look at possibly going through the house only problem is kitchen is about bathroom which has just been tiled!! AHHAHHHHHHHH
So i guess, i dont know.................

Gravid

Electrician's Arms
What's the problem with going up the front, outside, to attic and back down the other side as suggested?

snowhead

Respected Member
Mentor
Trainee Access
How friendly are they with the neighbours, into next door, across the lounge wall and back in thro' thier kitchen...

sparks1973

Regular EF Member
How friendly are they with the neighbours, into next door, across the lounge wall and back in thro' thier kitchen...
absolutely NOT!!....i really dont like this idea......just too easy for someone to think its THEIR bonding...when in fact its next doors....or they may just decide its `getting in the way`....and snip it...lol..

sparks1973

Regular EF Member
you could fashion some sort of creel with it....just hang it at regular intervals across the rooms....hmm...do they have open fires to hang clothes in front of?...

OP
S

Snapester

Regular EF Member
I could just tape it to the floor................. but seriously the outside up the front is a no as its rendered white old victorian house so nice green yellow 10mm isn't the choice of the owner. Joist run the wrong way!! And well yeah great isnt it......

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
this will not comply with BS7671, but it could be a get out for you. have to be entered on the cert. as a departure. bond the gas. then bond from the gas pipe at the boiler to the water stop tap.

OP
S

Snapester

Regular EF Member
This was my general idea to bond gas as thats at the front door, then at the boiler in kitchen bond water to gas.
Then note as a departure from BS7671.

somersetsparks

Regular EF Member
I could just tape it to the floor................. but seriously the outside up the front is a no as its rendered white old victorian house so nice green yellow 10mm isn't the choice of the owner. Joist run the wrong way!! And well yeah great isnt it......
Could you not put it in white placcy conduit?

OP
S

Snapester

Regular EF Member
No its hard as its a nice place inside and well they don't want conduit/trunking running around the house. Which is fair enough i guess.

R

Rauer

What about some decorative trunking ran at floor level ( so it looks like laminate floor beading)?

SKY

Regular EF Member
I have had the same prob - I did connect to gas pipe using 16mm (as I had some in the motor) I then strapped across from gas to water at the boiler.
Did full testing which showed it was within regs and I made a note of departure to 7671 on the EIC.

keniff

Electrician's Arms
just leave a few meters of 10mm green/yellow hanging out the fuse board, then as your leaving say "by the way the plumbers got to get a new water supply in there and strap that cable to it" job done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 99 72.3%
  • Black

Votes: 38 27.7%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.