Discuss Bonding to domestic water pipe (plastic) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dignam

DIY
Reaction score
Good afternoon one and all. I, like many non-electricians are having issues regarding the need to have domestic water pipes (plastic entry to the property) bonded prior to an EV charger being installed. I have read a number of articles on this forum which quickly leave me behind with the information imparted. Hence my post. I have attached a picture of the stop cock with the blue plastic pipe connected to it. I have two queries which I hope can be answered for me:

1. Do the regulations require that the plastic pipe is bonded from the stop cock side? I doubt it but am not sure.
2. We have had a new kitchen fitted within the last year and at the top of the photo you can see an earth cable. One end of it is not connected to anything. Is this, do you think, a result of either the new kitchen being fitted and the fitter hasn’t re-connected it? I cannot see a termination connector. Or is it unnecessary and therefore never connected to anything and therefore answering point 1 above?

Attachments

• Water tap.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 60
No requirement to bond the pipework either side of the stop cock with a plastic service pipe, unless the copper pipework then goes underground!
I suspect the earth bonding conductor may have been installed before upgrading to a plastic service pipe?

Very many thanks DefyG for that incredibly quick and affirmative answer. On closer examination of the earth bonding conductor it does appear to be "tarnished" or old and that may be the correct interpretation.

Thanks again.
Peter

Reply to Bonding to domestic water pipe (plastic) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I know once you see plastic entering then you don’t need to bond as it says on site guide.(enters the house plastic then it’s metal) Would I be...
Replies
Views
Hello, Carrying out remedial work on a commercial site and I've come across a metal out building that has a water supply to it. The water pipe...
Replies
Views
I have taken delivery of an undersink water heater. It is fitted with an RCD on the electrical supply cable which terminates with a euro-plug. I...
Replies
Views
So was on a call out today and cooker circuit kept tripping the RCD. Disconnected at the board and at the cooker switch and IR’d the cable and...
Replies
Views
Curious about supplementary bonding, I have these two 4mm Cables loose and not connected to anything in my parents house. I presume they are for...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock