Discuss Books to study for an HNC in electrical engineering in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there, i know its been asked before but the post was from 2012 so seeing if there are any more recent recommendations. I am wanting to do a distant learning HNC in electrical engineering to help further my career and was woundering if anyone has any good books that they recomend will help with the course? The two i am leaning towards at the moment would be the john bird for electrical principles and the maths. If anyone has any recommendations i would be very intrested to hear from you especially if you know of any good relevant maths books that show / explain how the workings out were achived (basically an idiots guide with step by step by step instructions)

TL;DR
Any good electrical principles and maths books to help study for a HNC in electrical engineering.
Hi JD,
I was wondering the same thing and so far came across :
Engineering mathematics - K A Stroud
Hughes Electrical Technology
and of course like you mentioned John Birds Basic engineering books.
I find his book very helpful but I am not quite at your level of undertaking my HNC yet I do know plenty of the apprentices where I worked correlated his book with the work that was set out.

If you do find any good ones please be sure to share :)
Regards,
Venom

Hi venom,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response! I have found a maths book I am going to try as it takes you through all the concepts and Workings out for type of maths that you will need for an engineering course in an easy to read way. I’ll link the book here if your interested- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Students-Survival-Self-Help-Engineering/dp/0521017076

as for the electrical books I think I’ll wait for now as my maths is my weakest subject by far! Once I feel that I am more confident I think I’ll then get the electrical books but as you said the John bird books seem to be the way to go.

thanks,
JD

Hi I am currently doing this distance learning, I assume you are doing electrical/ electronics. I am doing these and mechanical as well.
The Engineering maths book by KA Stroud is very useful when doing the maths unit and reasonably easy to understand.
For the science unit and also electrical principles a book called Electrical and Electronic Principles and Technology by John Bird is very useful, for the PLC/ robotics units a book called programmable logic controllers by W. Bolton explains the subject simply and to a good standard, also the book Electronic Motors and Drives fundamentals, types and applications by Austin Hughes and Bill Drury is helpful when doing the electrical machines/ principles unit

Newnes do a series of books that are very useful and break down the theory of numerous areas in this field with examples and simplified explanations... worth a look into if your trying to get your head around engineering or electrical theory.

Reply to Books to study for an HNC in electrical engineering in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net