Discuss Box with telephone wires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

papareis

DIY
Reaction score
I have an electrical box on my kitchen wall that I'd like to get rid of.

Can I tape the wires up (separately), push them back in the box, and spackle over it, or is that prohibited as is the case of a conventional 110/120v electrical box?

I may leave some baseboard-mounted telephone connectors in place in other parts of the house.

There are no 110/120v house-wires in the box (photo attached).

I could put a blank cover over it, but I prefer not to be able to see it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Telephone Box.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 19
For clarity, the first sentence probably should have read "I have an electrical box on my kitchen wall that has only telephone wires in it from a wall-mounted phone that I'd like to get rid of."

Assuming the phone cable is connected, I'd suggest to disconnect it at the other end - assuming you know where that is - before filling in the hole. That way, if someone accidentally drills through the cable one day, they are not going to short out the phone connection.

NB: I had to look up "spackle", seems to be a US term for filler (there was also another interesting urban dictionary definition).

Thanks. I'm going to go with the Oxford Languages definition of "repair (a surface) or fill (a hole or crack) with spackle" where spackle is similar to drywall compound.

Hard for me, as i am in the UK, but it did once work for the local telephone company here. The reason i asked if there are other working telephones is because phones are similar world over and anything you do here could affect other phones in the house. The only way i know of to do what you want to do is find the other end of the cable in the redundant box. Phones are usually daisy chained in the UK but the could also be starred from a centre point. Ideally you would look to find the other end of the cable in your redundant box, isolated the cable there and then you can chop off the cable in the redundant box and fill over.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'll look more closely at the route the telephone wire takes through the house and see if I can disconnect the wire leading to the box.

I have an electrical box on my kitchen wall that I'd like to get rid of.

Can I tape the wires up (separately), push them back in the box, and spackle over it, or is that prohibited as is the case of a conventional 110/120v electrical box?

I may leave some baseboard-mounted telephone connectors in place in other parts of the house.

There are no 110/120v house-wires in the box (photo attached).

I could put a blank cover over it, but I prefer not to be able to see it.

Thanks!
Tape them up and shove them in the wall. The code book has nothing to do with telephone wires.

Reply to Box with telephone wires in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net