Discuss Breaking the tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

yeah I believe you Nathan, got your DAB yet? and get your ruddy hair cut!

your certificates are in as well, i will try and get them posted out to you tommorrow matey:)
hair? cant cut that, long enough for a turban ,couple sunbeds and im off to council for a house,taxi,handouts etc!

I have no problem cutting seals, health & safety is of first importance, cut em off, then ring supplier and tell them tails were loose they will then come and re seal, works every time

Hi there.

I am studying for my 2330 at the moment. This post is very interesting.

Are you saying you break the seal on the cut out fuse and remove the fuse to disconnect the supply from the CU?

Are these fuses easy to remove once the cover is off?

In my house which is rented, I have a:

Supply cable
cut out fuse
current operated earth leakage circuit breaker 100mA 80A
CU

the circuit breaker doesn't state whether it is SP or DP.

It is quite an old installation. Would the CB turned off be acceptable to anyone if you wanted the work on the meter tails, as a means of isolation?

Any answers would greatly enhance my understanding of this area of an installation and would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards
Harry

Hello again.

I have just tried to contact my supplier to (hypothetically) get my supply disconnected so I could (hypothetically)change my consumer unit.

I first went to the western power distribution website which said contact your supplier.

I telephone the number on my bill. they gave me another number. telephoned that. they gave me another number. telephoned that. ended up back at customer services. great.

so how do you get a reliable way of contacting all these different companies? and how do you know who supplies who with what?

confused harry!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no substitution for safe isolation and if the only means is to pull the fuse then so be it, just remembering to ensure ALL loads are disconnected ie main switch to the CU is off.

As long as it is re-sealed afterwards then no prob.

What you must be careful of is some of the older fuse carriers can be quite stubborn when it comes to releasing the fuse and it has been known for them to fall apart as the fuse is being withdrawn.

Its a judgement call that only the electrician can make on each installation whether its safe to pull or not.

i wouldnt worry bout it i cut the seals on the meter and on the bullet i know were supposed to inform the board when we have so they can re seal it but no one does

hey im an ex meter recert engineer for southern electric and 80% of seals we saw were broken by sparks changing boards etc when we reported this at a team meeting they just ignord us and said dont worry about it it costs to much to take it to court so as far as im concerned id cut seals all day long as long as you turn main switch off before and if 3 ph turn off main isolators and put tape over cutout to stop things accidently toutching the live contacts and perming your hair (single ph ! 3 ph and split ph bit more than a perm) dont worry !
regards
Tony

I just spoke to a meter man on this subject, and he said even though it's illegal it hasn't stopped anybody doing it, he gave me a pack of the steel threads and crimps and told me to make sure I sealed everything back up after the work was finished.:D

Reply to Breaking the tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock