Discuss Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

And we have only just stopped paying the US for the same, or have we?

I wonder what would happen if we just stopped paying out to all the other countries that we supposedly have commitments too and kept the monies to support our own country, the US pays less into the global economy in foreign aid per person than any other country in the world.

As stated here, they’re all predictions. Not facts. It may be likely that would actually happen but it does irritate me when people try to pass opinion/predictions off as facts.

Nissan production halted, this will also be the fault of the EU
The UK had years to employ enough staff and implement a functional software system to make the border crossings less hassle but didn't
Oh and the French are currently being 'lenient' in implementing the rules but will become more strict soon.

I think three things have coincided to destroy a lot of motor manufacture in the UK. Covid, Brexit and re-tooling for EV production. Those looking to continue to export to EU will weigh up extra costs and move. I believe the Japanese are going to be moving manufacturing back to Japan. Be interesting to know from anyone who has good contacts in the industry?
What about that keen brexteer billionaire that’s decided to base his new land rover plant in France instead of Wales?

I agree that many are estimates but the UK is slowly becoming less relevant

The US has the UK as a 'bridge' between the US and the EU, this no longer happens and Ireland slots neatly in to that vacancy as the new US president is a Irish republican.

The full impact of the brexit will not come to peoples eyes for a month or two but the costs will mount- for example the Royal Mail now impose a £12 customs charge

Why haven’t I been charged for other goods I’ve received?

Prior to the 1 January 2021 items from the EU were not subject to customs charges. The decision to raise VAT or customs duties or not is a matter for HM Revenue & Customs.

I'd be interested to know how they're being ruthless Pete, from what I can see they're just implementing the rules and regs that we agreed to in the brexit deal.
Most of the problems are caused on this side of the border by our own border control.
They are just looking out for there interests. they wanted the best deal they could get, we wanted the best we could get.

In business sometimes you do need to be ruthless especially when both sides have so much to loose.

Europe has a lot to potentially loose, if other european countries choose to go the same way as us. So ruthlessness in business is fine its not a criticism.

we also had to be ruthless in our negotiations and got the best deal we where ever going to get.
yes it’s not ideal, but we did it.

I'm getting an allotment soon; how do I go about exporting my spuds to Ireland? I'm hoping to grow some strawberries in early summer, if anybody's interested. ?

People these days expect all sorts of fruit & veg, at all times of the year. We should go back to times past, when we ate only seasonal fruit & veg. And eating too much meat is bad for you, don't you know. We should eat more game meat; as a kid my mum made loads of meals using local rabbit. We could get the Scots to start breading & shooting more Haggis, that might help a bit!

We have an uncertain future with Brexit. I voted to remain, but that’s in the past. Let’s just get on with it and move on. This United Kingdom has been able to survive on its own in the past (not being part of another Union), I expect it will be able to do so in the future.

Reply to Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net