Discuss Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's not obvious at all. It was always very likely there would be significant disruption in the short term. Probably actually worse than what has happened in practice, however Covid has probably masked it to some extent.

It's likely that it will take a few years for everyone to get used to the new arrangements and any tweaks made and after that it's anyones guess as to whether it will be a good thing or bad thing. Much depends on your personal situation and subconscious bias.

my Portuguese wine supplier. He tells me the favourite red I bought for about £4/bottle delivered to my door, and which costs about £9 in Tesco etc, will now cost me almost £8/bottle due to excise duty imposed when it is imported to UK...
Well tell your supplier that you will now get your wine from Australia and see what he says, rather get me wine from them then the EU.

I voted leave knowing fulll well Europe would make us pay for the big betrayal. They have to be ruthless with us so as to discourage other countries leaving.

a price I was willing to pay thus my vote.

giving billions to Europe and thanking them when they give us billions back after they have skimmed off the top.

that’s why i voted leave.

I voted leave knowing fulll well Europe would make us pay for the big betrayal. They have to be ruthless with us so as to discourage other countries leaving.

giving billions to Europe and thanking them when they give us billions back after they have skimmed off the top.

I'd be interested to know how they're being ruthless Pete, from what I can see they're just implementing the rules and regs that we agreed to in the brexit deal.
Most of the problems are caused on this side of the border by our own border control.

I voted leave but regret doing so. I accept that we’re out now and accept a long drawn out negotiation process to occur on top of what’s been agreed so far. Whether that beats what had had previously will be the €million question?

I will be not long before a trade war,
And will stand there with a cannon.
There's no need for a trade war Buzz. What's happening is just normal, it happens all over the world at borders where there is no free trade deal or similar. It was all explained during the referendum campaign, you rember project fear?

Pete, from what I can see they're just implementing the rules and regs that we agreed to in the brexit deal.
Most of the problems are caused on this side of the border by our own border control.
Wait till spring kicks in will not be having
Vegetables from aboard every farmer will start to dig for Britain. Eu subsidiary for farmers, not now who's going to pay them billions for us out of the EU, will be going around to EU country's with a flat cap.

Late apologies for reviving this thread again. I appreciate that there are strong views on both sides. Would be interesting to know if anyone has changed stance and why?
As I’ve said, I regretted voting for brexit quite soon after the vote. I won’t go into the reasons as they’ve been raked over adinfinitum already on here ?

Late apologies for reviving this thread again. I appreciate that there are strong views on both sides. Would be interesting to know if anyone has changed stance and why?
As I’ve said, I regretted voting for brexit quite soon after the vote. I won’t go into the reasons as they’ve been raked over adinfinitum already on here ?

I voted leave and don't regret it. Having said that I wish we had never had a referendum, because of the hassle of has caused.

I would still prefer to leave, but there were too many people stopping it going smoothly.

Wait till spring kicks in will not be having
Vegetables from aboard every farmer will start to dig for Britain. Eu subsidiary for farmers, not now who's going to pay them billions for us out of the EU, will be going around to EU country's with a flat cap.
Agree Buzz. This country needs to be more self-sufficient on food production. What I see happening though is that farms will start going bust and they’ll be bought up cheap by the likes of Jacob Rees Mogg and his disaster capitalists then who knows what will happen. Ideally, I’d like to see more locally produced food sold locally. Whether we can afford it, that will be the key.

Agree Buzz. This country needs to be more self-sufficient on food production. What I see happening though is that farms will start going bust and they’ll be bought up cheap by the likes of Jacob Rees Mogg and his disaster capitalists then who knows what will happen. Ideally, I’d like to see more locally produced food sold locally. Whether we can afford it, that will be the key.
We probably could be self sufficient with food. It'll have to be a pretty bland diet though and probably vegetarian.

I believe a big problem with food in this country is the supply chain. Too long with too many people wanting their cut, but there is also the issue of supermarkets screwing over our view of what things really cost as things like fruit, veg and milk are often used as loss leaders as they are the things nearly everyone needs. This has distorted our view of what an acceptable price is for things somewhat.

Those two things make it hard for the producers to make money and it's unacceptable. It's always been unacceptable, but as with many other things (like the loss of the small local specialityshops - I'm thinking hardware, computers, haberdashery etc. etc.) smaller stores have been priced out of existence because they don't have the purchasing power to screw their suppliers into the ground.

We should tell them this with our money and we should all purchase from local suppliers.

As for our diet being bland and probably vegetarian... we have some great food and if it was more economically viable for producers I suspect there would be a lot more, but it's not for numerous reasons (some of which I've outlined above).

It's a common problem in this country. A lot of peoples views about what constitutes a reasonable price is seriously distorted, again partly due to the reasons I've outlined above, and as a consequence they aren't prepared to pay properly for things.

If you go to Ireland the supermarkets are full of "Irish Beef / Lamb / bread / loads of stuff" marked very clearly on the packaging so you know you are buying local stuff.

I have seen Sheep, cows, chickens, deer,in the fields around me, i used to pick potatoes as a kid and grow tomatoes in a greenhouse.

I think we will be fine eating our own stuff.

We can get our wine from anywhere in the world. I am allergic to shellfish, so for me its all good.

We probably could be self sufficient with food. It'll have to be a pretty bland diet though and probably vegetarian.
Of course we still need imported exotic fruit from around the world. Will be interesting to see if we can produce the salad stuff grown in Europe at the moment, cheaper here than continuing to import. Heating and lighting greenhouses will be expensive. Re meat, apparently we export a hell of a lot. I only see British and Irish Beef in our shops now anyway. Would I eat more of it if it was cheaper... not sure I would.

If you go to Ireland the supermarkets are full of "Irish Beef / Lamb / bread / loads of stuff" marked very clearly on the packaging so you know you are buying local stuff.

I have seen Sheep, cows, chickens, deer,in the fields around me, i used to pick potatoes as a kid and grow tomatoes in a greenhouse.

I think we will be fine eating our own stuff.

We can get our wine from anywhere in the world. I am allergic to shellfish, so for me its all good.
I steer clear of the shellfish/filter feeders (not referring to plumbers I might add) due to a fear of food poisoning, I do eat fish but not loads of it due to the expense. ?

This is a myth- Europe are not making up pay, it's all out fault

The EU is like a club (such as a cricket club / bowling club etc). when we were in the EU the UK had the benefits of the club.
Now we have left we are no longer in a position to benefit from the EU single market.

It is ironic that the UK costs of leaving the EU are now more than the sum total of all the membership fees we have paid since the 1970's

Nissan production halted, this will also be the fault of the EU
The UK had years to employ enough staff and implement a functional software system to make the border crossings less hassle but didn't
Oh and the French are currently being 'lenient' in implementing the rules but will become more strict soon.

Reply to Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net