Discuss Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Depending on which side of the fence any of us sit on this subject i am sure we could make up an argument to suit our own agendas. The bottom line line is that we will all have to wait and see and just put up with whatever the consequences are good or bad.

Sure as heck we as individuals can't to anything about these details now, its up to our esteemed leaders to sort it.

we already see that fuel has come down by about 10p/litre.

I thinks thats down to the Russkies & Saudi's squabbling over output.

Or is it 'cos there's not sport to go to watch, no ones going out clubbing or generally travelling. Mind there must be some travelling miles in search of toilet rolls.

Well... quite alot actually. Think about all the things that we currently have to pay a tariff on that don't originate from the EU... Pineapples for example ! EU tariff if 5.8% I think... but once we've left... 0%. There's a very very long list of EU tariffs that we won't need to pay if we revert to WTO rules.

And imagine if Barnier & co. stipulate a deal that harms Spanish or Italian exports to the UK... they'll be riots on the streets of Rome and Madrid !!!
You say 'Think about all the things that we currently have to pay a tariff on that don't originate from the EU' then give me:---------------------Pineapples.

How many pineapples do you buy in a year? I'm guessing a lot if you’re looking forward to the imaginary saving you're about to make.

but it's not just pineapples. what about bananas. mostly from Carribean. bet there's loads of other stuff will be cheaper. not considering bog rolls atm., i expect them to peak at £2/wipe.

You say 'Think about all the things that we currently have to pay a tariff on that don't originate from the EU' then give me:---------------------Pineapples.
About half of what we import comes from OUTSIDE of the EU (by value)... I just picked Pineapples as an example... I don't have time to list all the myriad of goods that will become cheaper under WTO rules.

but it's not just pineapples. what about bananas. mostly from Carribean. bet there's loads of other stuff will be cheaper. not considering bog rolls atm., i expect them to peak at £2/wipe.
Now bananas, do you know how much bananas cost? about 40p/lb in my local supermarket. I normally get a bunch every week and pay around 80p.

And imagine if Barnier & co. stipulate a deal that harms Spanish or Italian exports to the UK... they'll be riots on the streets of Rome and Madrid !!!
No riots. Especially not in Italy or Spain. Both in lockdown I believe.

how can you have a riot and be socially distancing?

Blimey ! one minute he wants evidence that prices will go down... we give him that... and now's he's moaning about it ! (btw under EU rules, it's still illegal to sell bananas by the lb...)
Fair enough, bananas 'may' go down a couple of pence. But I doubt it.
The point is if you asked me for a benefit of staying in and I gave you 'truffles will be cheaper' I'm sure you'd have some fun with that.
(btw under EU rules, it's never been illegal to sell bananas by the lb)

Fair enough, bananas 'may' go down a couple of pence. But I doubt it.
The point is if you asked me for a benefit of staying in and I gave you 'truffles will be cheaper' I'm sure you'd have some fun with that.
btw under EU rules, it's never been illegal to sell bananas by the lb)

so why were grocers prosecuted by Trading Standards for selling stuff by the lb.?

btw under EU rules, it's never been illegal to sell bananas by the lb)

so why were grocers prosecuted by Trading Standards for selling stuff by the lb.?
Agree. There has been a few prosecutions for selling in imperial and not metric .The Metric martyrs ( a group of about 5 market traders that held out against metric measures ) lost the case in court too .

Agree. There has been a few prosecutions for selling in imperial and not metric .The Metric martyrs ( a group of about 5 market traders that held out against metric measures ) lost the case in court too .
You can buy a pint of beer, a 10oz steak and a pound of bananas if the grocer wants to sell you it.
What you can't do is weigh in imperial, which is probaly what people were prosecuted for.

So hows the grocer weighing the 10 oz steak and the lb of bananas hes going to sell you ??
Someone selling a 10 oz steak? That’ll be a butcher, then

all this talk of imperial v metric.
I think the law is that you can sell it how you like, but it has to have the metric equivalent on the label.
Ie, a pint of milk will have 568ml written in it, but we still call it a pint of milk.

So hows the grocer weighing the 10 oz steak and the lb of bananas hes going to sell you ??
I'll let Littlespark explain.
I think the law is that you can sell it how you like, but it has to have the metric equivalent on the label.
Ie, a pint of milk will have 568ml written in it, but we still call it a pint of milk.

So next time I order a 12 inch pizza I'll look out to see if it says 305mm on the box

Do you though? Or do they come “standard” or “large” size?
Actually, it’s been a long time since I bought a 7 inch single on vinyl.

The products uses imperial weights as names really now, such as “a quarter pounder”, or the aforementioned “pint”

You never know, maybe post-Brexit, we’ll go back to pounds and ounces, shillings and old pennies

Exit markers on motorways are 100 yards apart .Horse racing distances are still in furlongs and signposts are still in miles .we are told Tyson fury is six foot 9 .The truth is we have never truly embraced metrification

errr... the Weights and Measures Act 1985 says otherwise... Weights and measures: the law - https://www.gov.uk/weights-measures-and-packaging-the-law
[automerge]1584575002[/automerge]
Someone selling a 10 oz steak? That’ll be a butcher, then

Sort of... the Act says...
The only products you can sell in imperial measures are:

• draught beer or cider by pint
  • milk in returnable containers by pint
  • precious metals by troy ounce
You can display an imperial measurement alongside the metric measurement but it can’t stand out more than the metric measurement.

Reply to Brexit. We’re out! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net