Discuss Brick lights in a retaining wall in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Has anyone got any recommendations for brick lights that can be installed in a retaining wall? Looking at a few manufacturer's instructions, it seems like many aren't suitable.

Failing that, has anyone any suggestions for a surface-mounted alternative? Would have to be something that doesn't project out from the wall much, as they would be low-level facing onto a driveway.

Fit something ELV and IP68 or it’ll cause you grief is my advice
Thanks @mattg4321 . Any recommendations? Struggling to find anything at all suitable here.

There are existing brick lights in the wall, but the circuit's tripping the RCD. The guy that fitted them a couple of years back has returned a couple of times to put right a couple of faults, but now he won't return any of the client's calls.

I had a look at them yesterday, surprisingly the brick lights themselves don't seem to have faired that badly, and return not great, but not awful IR results. The obvious faults are water having gotten into the wiska boxes (laid on the ground, no gel).

The client has asked me if I can get them working again, which I could do, but I suspect not for long and have recommended the whole lot be replaced

There are no Ip68 or ELV brick lights. I don’t fit brick lights anymore as they’re all carp.

If it was me I’d be getting the hole bricked up and coring in some Collingwood ground lights. Will never go wrong if done properly. Site driver inside somewhere or in adaptable box on wall if that’s not possible.

I’ve personally fitted around £50k of Collingwood outside lighting in the past 4 years with no failures or call backs other than 1 driver.

There are a few brick lights which "claim" to be IP68 - even Toolstation has one - but I'd be doubfull that they actually are. Any light in a retaining wall is likely to fill with water, soil, worms, other insects if there is the sligthest hole or gap anywhere, anything less than a fully sealed unit with a cable tail, that is what I'd expect.

Personally I'd perhaps brick the holes up and fit slim/flat surface lights, assuming the existing cables are long enough to do that. I'd be very wary of having any junctions hidden in the brick work or soil

Thanks for the advice guys.

I think there are ways to mitigate against the ingress of water from behind, but it would involve a little bit of work, and I prefer the ideas you've given me

Reply to Brick lights in a retaining wall in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net