Discuss British Jobs for British Workers in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnD

Having read and heard in the news about 20,000 migrant workers who have registered to work on the Olympic project and we know that usually ends up being more, i would have thought that this would have been a perfect opportunity to retrain the large number of unemployed and give the youth of this country an opportuniyu to learn a skill and put it to use. Instead yet again we open the doors to the rest of the world and let them in to deny these people the chance to get back on their feet during the up and coming recession.
It would be beneficial to their families, the local communities and the rest of the country. instead the money will be leaving this country, also they dont have to pay tax here (international agreement that they pay it to their country of origin) so even our government gets zilch back in taxes, which means less money for services etc. Is it just me thinking that there's something wrong with this situation. It's a pity we cant replace the government with east european politicians, but then that would never be allowed! Okay i've finished moaning:mad:

Having read and heard in the news about 20,000 migrant workers who have registered to work on the Olympic project and we know that usually ends up being more, i would have thought that this would have been a perfect opportunity to retrain the large number of unemployed and give the youth of this country an opportuniyu to learn a skill and put it to use. Instead yet again we open the doors to the rest of the world and let them in to deny these people the chance to get back on their feet during the up and coming recession.
It would be beneficial to their families, the local communities and the rest of the country. instead the money will be leaving this country, also they dont have to pay tax here (international agreement that they pay it to their country of origin) so even our government gets zilch back in taxes, which means less money for services etc. Is it just me thinking that there's something wrong with this situation. It's a pity we cant replace the government with east european politicians, but then that would never be allowed! Okay i've finished moaning:mad:

Government should with nearly 2 million unemployed stop anyone coming into work in this country and not let every tom, dick and harry take the jobs pushing up the total even more.

Just to play devils advocate like it or not we are part of a european community now they have a right to work here just the same as i have the right to work in EU countries (which I have done many times over the years). My only beef is that I think any sparkies working in a different country should have local qualifications or only be allowed to work as a mate untill theve qualified. I believe the use that system in the states.

Just to play devils advocate like it or not we are part of a european community now they have a right to work here just the same as i have the right to work in EU countries (which I have done many times over the years).

That's right, when theres a shortfall in the labour market, but with more electricians in the construction industry being layed off every day, it's only right they should be given priority.

I like that, "they've got the right to work here." What about my right to be able to work here then? I was happy and getting along with my apprenticeship, then low and behold I get made redundant. To cap it all, my training provider informs me, I've got for weeks to find another job else I'm off the apprenticeship program as it's the rules, set by the same government that encourages the migrants and says how good they are for the economy!

Reply to British Jobs for British Workers in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net