Discuss Building regs client wants sockets moved above limitations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, client wants some sockets and 20a switches moved into high cupboards in kitchen and above 1200mm for tvs etc, the apartment was built in 2016 so complies with building regs, can’t seem to find any specific exclusions etc. my thoughts is that all points should be easily accessible?
Thanks

Part M doesnt apply to every single socket and switch in the house, as long as there are an adequate number of accessible sockets and switches then you can put others where you want.

We always fit oven isolators and stuff like that in high cupboards, what about fan isolators, most are over doorways. We have even fitted sockets at ceiling level fo Sonos speakers.

Part M doesnt apply to every single socket and switch in the house, as long as there are an adequate number of accessible sockets and switches then you can put others where you want.

We always fit oven isolators and stuff like that in high cupboards, what about fan isolators, most are over doorways. We have even fitted sockets at ceiling level fo Sonos speakers.

Yeah I just didn’t really know where to draw the line and if it was against any regulations, can never seem to find a straight forward answer to a simple question in some of these books they release.thanks for reply

Building Regulations for location of socket outlets would not be applicable to what you are doing.

Although not a requirement, if possible when putting sockets up out of reach for projectors on ceilings, roller doors or window shutters, or high mounted amplified speakers / Bluetooth speakers etc.
I often use an unswitched single socket up high with a switch mounted below it or in a convenient location.

Although not a requirement, if possible when putting sockets up out of reach for projectors on ceilings, roller doors or window shutters, or high mounted amplified speakers / Bluetooth speakers etc.
I often use an unswitched single socket up high with a switch mounted below it or in a convenient location.

I think the aim here is to minimise the number of accessories on display. I've never liked the idea of hiding isolators, but it's fairly common for people to want this in kitchens. Pleasing aesthetics are of the utmost importance in kitchens and electrical accessories aren't generally considered to be aesthetically pleasing.

I think the aim here is to minimise the number of accessories on display. I've never liked the idea of hiding isolators, but it's fairly common for people to want this in kitchens. Pleasing aesthetics are of the utmost importance in kitchens and electrical accessories aren't generally considered to be aesthetically pleasing.
Maybe, instead of several "ugly switches" on display
how about a 7inch touch screen with virtual buttons to turn things on and off?
nice way to add 2 or 3k to the bill and it all looks modern and pretty!??

Maybe, instead of several "ugly switches" on display
how about a 7inch touch screen with virtual buttons to turn things on and off?
nice way to add 2 or 3k to the bill and it all looks modern and pretty!??

Don't go there. They'd be asking for control of everything in the house from their phone, insist on range of options with full cost breakdown and finish by saying something along the lines of 'oh, I thought it would be cheaper as no switches are needed'. Finally they'd accept a quote from soneone else that included one pendant set and 2g socket per room, wired back to a BG dual RCD board.

Its not just that, fancy kitchens with glass splashbacks and similar cost about £100 per cut out, so no point in having an oven isolator on display if it only gets used once every 5 years.

Its not just that, fancy kitchens with glass splashbacks and similar cost about £100 per cut out, so no point in having an oven isolator on display if it only gets used once every 5 years.

That's a good point. Glass splashbacks do look great, but I can't help wondering if they'll look so good in ten years time.

Just tell them its a safety feature... easy isolation in the event of an incident..... don't have to go rummaging around in the back of a cupboard to find a switch

You're not the one paying for the splashback.

Reply to Building regs client wants sockets moved above limitations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net