Discuss building warrants in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

frankmac

Hi Guys , contractor that we use (not nic or select registered) have told me that to install a socket in a area used by the public requires some kind of building warrant or planning permission ,can anybody shed some light on this . We are in Scotland.

shopping malls .cinema,s ect come under special licence dont know to what degree installing a socket ect you would have to contact your l.a.b
hope this helps

Hi Guys , contractor that we use (not nic or select registered) have told me that to install a socket in a area used by the public requires some kind of building warrant or planning permission ,can anybody shed some light on this . We are in Scotland.

With you living in Scotland could not give a proper answer as you have your own seperate laws up there, as you aren't affected by Part P like us down south of the border.

Know with the advent of local authorities down here now lececing pubs and clubs was told by Deeside council that it is not required now to have installation checked every year as previously but max is 3 years.

hi sorry to high jack your thread this is just a yes/no question for frank i dont want to open a can of worms
frank i done my time in glasgow now live and work in london the method of 3 plate
in the switch box ie neutrals joined at the switch i never seen this in scotland
is it used now?

Hi Old Dog,yes some of the old school ,especially in conduit install will draw the neutrals to the switch but the younger design engineers don`t like it or indeed encourage it.
You a Glasgow boy?

old dog , yes i often 3 plate at a lightswitch especially if i know there are fancy lights, spotlights in kitchens or wall lights etc to fix,(leaves 1 wire at light, easier to connect into fitting) also in a bathroom with fan i run all wiring back to fan isolator with a deep box. but have never done it on a conduit lighting system, i always run neutrals to light unless its needed at switch.

frankmac, as an oldie myself ive never, nor encouraged neutrals run in conduit to a switch unless needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to building warrants in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock