Discuss Buying IET Regulation books in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody knows how much a copy of the IET Wiring Regulations Amendment 3 or 18th edition should cost?

It looks like the RRP for 18th edition, paperback, is £95! Found a copy delivered for £81 on Amazon.

Is this really the case for an essential publication? Or should I be able to get a better deal?

I see that an alternative might be subscribing to the IET site for £160/year and getting access to a lot of the regulations. Seems steep, but may be the best direction if it's going to cost that for every 2 books.

£95 ish at CEF for 18th and OSG. A professional needs this publication, and possibly several hundreds more for the course and exam.
If its just for general enquiries as an interested layman, take up the ebay offer on the previous edition

The I.E.T like the British Standards and other similar publishers are very guarded about thier publications .
They all chase down and close down unauthorised copies online.
If you find it cheap it's either fake or won't be around long.

The link above appears to Amazon direct selling so Amazon must have done a deal with the I.E.T if not they won't be selling at that price for long.

As a side note, one review of the Regs on Amazon;

"Such a riveting read at bargain basement price. Once started could not put it down and read it in one sitting". :eek:

The I.E.T like the British Standards and other similar publishers are very guarded about thier publications .
They all chase down and close down unauthorised copies online.
If you find it cheap it's either fake or won't be around long.

The link above appears to Amazon direct selling so Amazon must have done a deal with the I.E.T if not they won't be selling at that price for long.

As a side note, one review of the Regs on Amazon;

"Such a riveting read at bargain basement price. Once started could not put it down and read it in one sitting". :eek:

They obvsiously didn’t open it up and read it then haha!!

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody knows how much a copy of the IET Wiring Regulations Amendment 3

Obsolete at the end of 2018

or 18th edition should cost?

It looks like the RRP for 18th edition, paperback, is £95! Found a copy delivered for £81 on Amazon.

Is this really the case for an essential publication?

Essential publication for sparks and as they are revised, with multiple errors regularly we get VERY annoyed about the costs

There's more books than you think for BS 7671 - you need the OSG and where relevant the Guidance Notes

Or should I be able to get a better deal?

I see that an alternative might be subscribing to the IET site for £160/year and getting access to a lot of the regulations. Seems steep, but may be the best direction if it's going to cost that for every 2 books.

My responses above

Anyone know how much discount you get on publications if you join the IET ?

I know if you have the relevant qualification you can use their designatory letters after your name, and they offer discount on some insurances ( like everyone else) but its hard to find how much discount members actually get.

What I find particularly appalling is books this expensive having errors.

For example in the OSG p45, the cross reference 537.6 should read 532.6, was one I noticed yesterday.
Well spotted ! There is no 537.6 :)
BBB not much better, there's minor errors like afbeklauder of the abbreviations and symbols. My favourite (I know I'm weird) being Cos ø is after the Z entries.

but as long as we keep buying them, they'll churn them out by the bucket load. supply and demand. if we all refused to buy, that would put a kink in their shiny-arsed trousers.

Anyone know how much discount you get on publications if you join the IET ?

I know if you have the relevant qualification you can use their designatory letters after your name, and they offer discount on some insurances ( like everyone else) but its hard to find how much discount members actually get.

It's 35% off, I only paid £61 for the regs but it's not worth the £160 a year

And as for the letters after your name, who pays attention to those? Nobody once asked me how I got them or what they meant. I've now ditched the letters and replaced them with letters standing for Consumer Unit Neutral Terminal, the new letters more accurately represent what everyone else thought when I used letters after my name before.

It's 35% off, I only paid £61 for the regs but it's not worth the £160 a year

And as for the letters after your name, who pays attention to those? Nobody once asked me how I got them or what they meant. I've now ditched the letters and replaced them with letters standing for Consumer Unit Neutral Terminal, the new letters more accurately represent what everyone else thought when I used letters after my name before.
the letters aftermy name stand for "Terminations Warrant Attention (to) Tightness.

So it's a ---- up between paying top dollar for the books, which I'll need to complete training, or subscribing £160/year for access to most of them and getting any revisions included.

It looks like a deal for the three most necessary ones will come in at around £135 on Amazon just now and that should be good for 3 years, seems that's the way to go rather than subscribing digitally at £160/year.

I did think of having a look for 'free' download pdf but thought it's not worth risking it if somebody has messed with the info.

Will suck it up and pay.

Reply to Buying IET Regulation books in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net