Discuss Cable codes reference sheet? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
Is there a document that dechypers what cable markings and codes actually mean? 6181Y and the like.

I've looked on BCA, Doncaster Cables and a few others but can't find a simple explainitory guide to them, closest I've come is the BS EN standardisation document when codes changed to tie in with the EU.

No table I am afraid, but they are the old cma codes (cable manufacturers association)

Take 6242y

6 is the voltage rating, (3 is a lower voltage rating for some flex such as bell wire etc)
24 is flat cable bare earth, (94 for swa, 18 round flex, 49 for conduit wire)
2 is the number of cores
Y is pvc insulation (basic) and sheath (additional), X just pvc insulation (basic), B low smoke...

Unfortunately X can also mean xlpe (cross linked polyethylene) but this is only used when there are two letters at the end

So 6491x - the key is 94 - single, 1 number of cores, x single insulation - so earth cables, cables for trunking.
6181y would be like 6491x but with a double insulation (additional outer pvc cover) - so tails etc
6181xy would be the same as 6181y but the primary insulation would be xlpe, and the double insulation would be an outer pvc
6181xb would be the same as 6181xy but the outer would be low smoke...

Can't remember the rest!

Oops - edit here

Forgot the obvious one!

All the above codes are actually the old colours red, yellow, blue, black...

For the new colours there should be an additional H at the end

So you should not wire in 6242y but 6242yh

Mea culpra

Last edited:
hate all these numbers. 6242y is still twin and skin. (or twin and stripper) everyone understands that. :p

Can't appear to edit the above again, but I have remembered some more

When the cable has an outer steel covering the letter L is used, so pvc 6 cored armoured would be
6946XL or 6946XLH - new colours

If it's low smoke, then LS is used
6946LS or 6946LSH - new colours for the above 6 core example

The other obvious one is that it's followed up with cable cross section such as 2.5mm

If it's twin and earth the earth cross section is not described, unless it is different from the usual 60-67% of the main core so in Ireland for example where the earth is the same size it would be 6243y 2.5/2.5

For three core and same size earth in 2.5mm2
[automerge]1575536456[/automerge]
hate all these numbers. 6242y is still twin and skin. (or twin and stripper) everyone understands that. :p

The system is a bit of a mess - nobody really understands it - the new harmonised system is way more accurate and descriptive, but too hard and complicated for us mere mortals to remember

Reply to Cable codes reference sheet? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net